Growing limb on top of existing limb?

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lex
Today while feeding my juvie melanoid axolotl I noticed that he has a long, pointy "bump" growing at the base of his front left leg.

It almost seems as though he's growing another limb?
Could it be injured somehow and he's replacing it?
He doesn't use it as much as the other limbs, but he can still move and swim with it.
He's eating perfectly fine, no other signs of stress.

ri7y1d.jpg

Monitor it to see how it develops. Like you questioned, he's probably had some trauma or damage to the area and some odd regrowth has occured. It's not uncommon.

The "extra limb" is still growing and is just getting longer. He still uses the leg.

From what you've explained sounds like a classic regeneration to me. Usually it is simply caused by an injury and is especially common in juveniles. Like NeekaLovesYou said, keep an eye on it but as long as it isn't causing him any stress or pain it'll just be a cute quirk of his from now on :) One of my Axies has an extra limb coming off of his left arm and he uses it to climb and swim just like a regular little leg!

Wanted to let you guys know that my baby melanoid is still doing very well. He loves to eat and swims with ease. He still has his extra limb, but it hasn't yet formed any little toes.

He's so cute! I just had to have a proper look at him in your album- I love melanoids.

I noticed you have gravel in your tank though which can be very dangerous, even lethal if they accidentally swallow it (which they often do).

I saw a Leucistic in a pet shop that had grown a limb on top of another, complete with toes. It didn't seem to bother it in any way. It didn't seem to "use" the smaller one, but held them both against its body to swim.

Posting an update on my melanoid! The limb continues to grow and has one toe so far.
I actually kept a few layers of larger pieces of rock on top of the gravel so that they couldn't access it at all, but I have since set up my 55G with sand on the bottom. I keep it about half way full which is great because I'm able to keep the temperature around 64-66 degrees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back