Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I feed my babies earth worms

Jennadenny

Reaction score
I've just been out and got some earthworms was just wondering if I should wash them? They are small earthworms so don't think I need to chop them up, I also couldn't resist and brought a new axolotl I think it's a girl as my axol has just climbed on top of it lol

ArdyBay

Reaction score
You can wash them. I don't because I can't stand the squirmy-ness, but I doubt it'd hurt. Also, how big is your new one? Be careful about size differences; you don't want your new one to become lunch.
Also, how old is it? It's hard to tell the sex of the axolotls until they're around 8-9 ish months old. Here's a good guide on axolotl biology Axolotls - Biology

It's also recommended that you quarantine the new critter before putting it in with your existing one. The new one could have infections that you don't want your existing axie to get.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Earthworms should be rinsed of dirt before feeding.

Axolotls don't mate by mounting.

Being as how you've already put them together, quarantine is pointless now. but in the future, definitely quarantine all new animals for at least 30 days.

EmbryH

Reaction score
I just dunk the worm in a separate container of water (pulled from the tank) before hand to get the big chunks of dirt off.

Works well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1