Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Range Extensions in Southwestern Oregon

Aneides

Reaction score
Hello all. I just arrived back from my trip to southwestern Oregon, and I am proud to say I have made 3 probable range extensions.

1. Ensatina eschscholtzii picta
- 12/28/2012
I was very suprised when I saw an obvious picta north of Gold Beach (and Ophir). According to the range maps provided on www.ensatina.net, my locality is well out of picta range, and even out of the intergradation zone with oregonensis. After I saw 2 specimens that resembled picta (a subadult male and a juvenile), I knew something was up.

- 1/4/2013
I was even more suprised when I saw a picta north of Port Orford (and Langlois).
This is very far out of their range. I saw just 1 subadult male;
- SVL 41 mm
- Head Width 7 mm
- Head Length 15 mm
- Tail Length not measured, but surely longer than SVL

As I was noting morphological characteristics of the specimen, I realized that the specimen had solid black eyes, which is not seen in picta or oregonensis. Has anyone ever seen specimens like this? Could it be a new subspecies? I am planning to return to the site to get more documentation.

2. Plethodon vehiculum
1/1/2013
As I was flipping rocks on the side of a road near Port Orford, I saw something different that was not the usual dunni. I found an adult vehiculum. And another. And another! Is this a range extension? Have they even been found south of Bandon? Somebody, please comment with advice!

If anyone thinks my extensions are not valid, comment! At this stage, I need criticism and advice. By the way, has anyone seen picta north of Gold Beach?

Sincerely,
Aneides

Aneides

Reaction score
Anybody out there? I know this is a lone corner of the forum, but come on guys!

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!