Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using green away with axolotls

Jennadenny

Reaction score
hi has anyone used green away with axols in the tank, just noticed the tank water has a green tinge to it. was just wondering if its safe to use or not

Tephra

Reaction score
I find that colder water helps to prevent algae growth... It doesn't rule it out completely, but the algae just don't grow as fast.

Most people have a tank temperature of 20-ish. If that's the case with you, try bringing it down to 17-18, it should help. The cheapest way is either putting ice bottles in your tank or leaving your aquarium open and placing a fan over the top.

Other than that, I'm afraid there's not much advice I can give you.

JessKB

Reaction score
Do a big water change and add fast growing plants like duckweed and anacharis. These plants will use up excess nutrients before the algae can. You are also likely overfeeding.

Tephra

Reaction score
Wait, Anacharis helps? No wonder I don't have much algae xD

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Any live plants will help. They'll out-compete algae for nutrients.

Tephra

Reaction score
Have you tested the water? And how often do you change it, and how much?

You could try algae-eating shrimp or such, but I'm afraid there's always that chance they'll end up being axolotl snacks...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1