Question: Cloudy tank?

Emwinn91

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a 5.5 gal for my two fire belly newt babies (and I will be moving them to a 10gal soon!) but the water has been kind of cloudy. I cleaned the water like I was suppose to, and had to do it an extra time this weekend when their cave started to float! I even added something to balance the nitrate used in aquariums (and doubled checked to make sure it's safe).

Are they going to be ok? It's just mildly cloudy. I also have three live plants including a mossball, and large natural gravel. I've been cleaning the pellets and worms they don't eat up when I see them.

I've had them for a little less than 2 weeks and just want everything go well. They are such sweeties and want the best for them.

So I have a 5.5 gal for my two fire belly newt babies (and I will be moving them to a 10gal soon!) but the water has been kind of cloudy. I cleaned the water like I was suppose to, and had to do it an extra time this weekend when their cave started to float! I even added something to balance the nitrate used in aquariums (and doubled checked to make sure it's safe).

Are they going to be ok? It's just mildly cloudy. I also have three live plants including a mossball, and large natural gravel. I've been cleaning the pellets and worms they don't eat up when I see them.

I've had them for a little less than 2 weeks and just want everything go well. They are such sweeties and want the best for them.

Have you got a filter running in the tank? Have you got an air stone?

Adding something to balance the water is not ideal - what were your parameter readings before adding it & after? How often do you do water changes & how often? Ph / Ammonia / NitrIte / NitrAte / temperature.

Large pebbles can hide left over food & waste can mess with your tank - it's hard to maintain & will require you to be vigilant - perhaps a bare bottom or easier to maintain (not sure newts like bare bottom - but I'm sure someone will clarify that soon)

<3 >o_o< <3

If your tank isn't established yet, the cloudiness is likely a little outbreak of bacteria. It happens to all of my tanks in the last stretch of cycling.

Since you've only had them up for two weeks and have been doing regular cleans, it sounds like it's just harmless bacteria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back