Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird Cut?

fishcakey

Reaction score
My guy has been acting a little strange lately, kind of worried. He's been swimming around in circles at certains times of the day, not all the time, but enough to make me believe it's abnormal behavior. Also he has something that looks like a cut on his belly, I'm certain he can heal from it, I'm pretty sure it's a cut, since it didn't grow, it just appeared an hour since I checked up on him. The picture isn't the best, but he wouldn't sit still. Although the picture is a good representation of it. He has just a little red cut looking thing.

I'm also worried about cleaning out his filter. It really needs to be cleaned out since it has poop galore in it and doesn't do a very good job of sucking things out anymore. I'm worried that I'm going to ruin the cycle and make him even more agitated. I kept him in a temporary tank at home for a while and I came back and his usual tank had evaporated about 1/3 so I added 1/3 water so I think the conditions should be pretty OK.
bhde9w.jpg

FX1C

Reaction score
My guy has been acting a little strange lately, kind of worried. He's been swimming around in circles at certains times of the day, not all the time, but enough to make me believe it's abnormal behavior. Also he has something that looks like a cut on his belly, I'm certain he can heal from it, I'm pretty sure it's a cut, since it didn't grow, it just appeared an hour since I checked up on him. The picture isn't the best, but he wouldn't sit still. Although the picture is a good representation of it. He has just a little red cut looking thing.

I'm also worried about cleaning out his filter. It really needs to be cleaned out since it has poop galore in it and doesn't do a very good job of sucking things out anymore. I'm worried that I'm going to ruin the cycle and make him even more agitated. I kept him in a temporary tank at home for a while and I came back and his usual tank had evaporated about 1/3 so I added 1/3 water so I think the conditions should be pretty OK.
bhde9w.jpg

Have you tested the water?
(An accurate testing kit is essential)
What are the parameters?
(Ph / Ammonia / NitrIte / NitrAte)
What is the tank temperature?
How long has the tank been running?
Do you clean poop when you see it?

Cleaning the filter should just be a good rinse in the water you've removed from the tank (not tap water) therefore it doesn't loose all the good bacteria that are in it! What kind of filter are you using?

Post a pic of the whole tank as well as a Better shot of the cut if you can.

<3 >o_o< <3

fishcakey

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, I know the package didn't say tahitian, it just said aquarium sand. I bought it from my aquarium store, and it is fine grain.

fishcakey

Reaction score
Yes, it is raised looking, perhaps it is the blood vessel, and then it wouldn't be a problem of a cut. But what causes blood vessels to enlarge like that?

I have a canister filter, and I probably wouldn't clean the gunky things out of it, but I think I should get the more solid waste type things out of it. When I see pee I clean it, but I rarely see it since he's on dark sand. Tank temperature is always 68-71 degrees, I need to test the water, but since I just put him in a tank with partially new water I didn't think I had to quite yet. I'll check tomorrow for anything irregular, and I do have the master testing kit! This situation is odd, I took the filter to the other tank with me because he would be living in that tank for a month, then I came back to his new tank, which was evaporated mostly and added new water. I replace his water as quickly as it evaporates, so probably every 3 weeks. I use a fan to keep his tank cooler.

FX1C

Reaction score
Evaporation does not count towards water removed from tank as all it is doing is leaving even more concentrate behind! You must remove the water - preferably by vacuuming the bottom of the tank substrate with a gravel vac - then you replace it with clean aged dechlorinated water (aged 24-48hrs).

Otherwise you're just staying at the same levels.

If you have a testing kit - use it!
The moment you think there could be an issue - test it! Aquariums are not guesswork they are a chemical science.
If you've not cycled the new tank properly / or it was left to stagnate without a filter - I'd be testing!

Darker substrates make it hard to remove waste quickly - without removal Nitrate & Ammonia will spike & become an unhealthy environment very quickly.

Axolotls are not sacrifical canaries - sticking them into an unknown water quality is like taking the birds into the mines - it's too late to do anything once it's dead!

<3 >o_o< <3

fishcakey

Reaction score
Sacrificial canine??

I'm definitely checking the water, but what causes blood vessels like that?

Also ammonia and nitrates are good. 0 PPM is what my test kit is reading. Also, the blood vessel is not enlarged anymore, but still slightly concerned about his amount of activity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1