Filter recommendations?

UKMarch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for some advice on getting a filter for my YD axolotl tank. It is 36x12x12 with slate bottom so have read on here that one with ceramic media is recommended. I was looking at a Fluval U2 but would be willing to invest in an external one if this would be better and less maintenance I have seen a Eheim 2215 but have no experience of these or similar and maintenance requirements/noise level etc. My ED has a Fuval U for her tropical setup and this has been fine quite quiet compared to her previous one which was an interpet and incredibly noisy and short lived. I would be gratefully for your opinions.

Personally id get an external filter,i had a fluval u4 running in my 4ft but it wasn't quiet enough.
Or sponge filters!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that I have had a quick look online at the Eheim 2213/2215, Fluval 106 and Eheim Ecco series does anyone have any advice? How often would a canister filter need to be maintained etc? I have no filter experience as my OH currently deals with the fish while I mainly do the fur & feathers but the axolotls are my responsibility too so want to make the right decisions.

Canister filters seem to be less problematic than internal and easier to maintain,well so I've found!all the ones you mentioned are popular,if you want a cheaper one,all pond solutions make an external that is supposed to perform well.
I find with my external i have more freedom to alter it by adding things like spray bars,longer tubes,more media...
I did like my internal,it did a great job with 3 axolotls but its was too loud for me and i couldn't get a happy medium.
I would go with what suits you best and not be talked into certain ones by stores!
I like the fact the tank is emptied with the external and i don't get soaked trying to mess with it. At the same time i didn't have to worry about leaks since it was in tank,or flooding my floor!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back