Forced hatching?

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Steve-o
Hello!

I bought 25 eggs from a breeder because I wanted to have a go at raising Axolotls from the egg before my 9 adults started breeding. Of course they decided to lay eggs 2 days after they arrived so I know have about 600 ... :eek:

Anyway, the eggs I bought were laid on 20th December and so far only 2 out of 25 has hatched and we're going onto day 21 so getting a bit worried. The 2 that hatched only seemed to come out when I was nudging them around a bit with a syringe. That was 3 days ago...

The larvae in the rest of the eggs are still flipping around occasionally and some of the embryos look like they're open. I read on another site that they should all have hatched within a 3 day period and I should help the unhatched ones along by cutting the eggs open with a pair of scissors.

Is that a good idea or would I do more harm than good? Is there anything I'm doing wrong or any tips you can give me to help things along.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I would say its your call but I wouldn't worry either way. I have forced hatching before without any harm. Another day won't hurt them. Or you can hatch them all.

I personally would leave them be, if they are wriggling then they will still hatch when they are ready.

I got a batch of 17 eggs, the first one hatched on a tuesday, the last one didnt hatch untill the following thursday, thats like 10 days difference, they all came out fine with no help needed, just some took longer.

Id leave them be and let nature take its course. :wacko:

The reason your first two hatched is because you disturbed their eggs. That's not a natural hatching anyway, so you can't use that as the basis for your time line.

Just leave them. Like Julia said, they'll hatch when they're ready.

I only nudged them a bit to clear up some debris from behind them without sucking them into the syringe.
It's day 21 now how long is hatching normally?

What temperature is their water? The cooler the water the longer it takes.

I just hatched out some eggs that I picked up 3 weeks ago, and they were laid almost 2 weeks before that. I've been keeping them around 12c.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back