Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with color & extra arm?

What color are they?

• Leuicistic

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Wildtype

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Deraulle

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my two Axie babies today :) They're super cute. But I do have one question. They were sold to me as Leuicistics but to me they look like a light wild type. Some people have said leuicistics can start with "speckling" along their bodies but it looks like more than just something that is going to fade in my opinion :p What are your thoughts?

Also, my second Axie has a second arm! I know its very common when they regenerate limbs for them to not grow back perfectly but I thought I'd share with everyone 'cause its just too cute :p It comes off at the elbow - Sorry about the quality (Silly iPhone cameras...)

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 531

Cliff

Reaction score
They both have black eyes making them lecustics, I have seen some interesting patterned ones in my time, they can fetch a bit more price wise than average lecustics if they look particularly special. keep us posted on how they develop! :D

In the meantime here's a link to get you better acquainted with the different colour morphs;
Axolotls - Genetics and Colour

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They look like coppers. If you look close with a bright light, the eyes are probably red.

Deraulle

Reaction score
Have just had a closer look and it turns out the suspicions were right - I've got a couple of copper babies! :D I'll most definitely be posting photos as they grow to show everyone how they turn out. How exciting!

Deraulle

Reaction score
Heres a better quality picture of Stitch :) The one with the extra little arm. You can kinda see his burgundy eye color but it's really obvious when he's facing a bright light.

Attachments

• DSCF1229.jpg
    DSCF1229.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 6,076

Neil C

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware Coppers aren't available in New Zealand as I've never seen anyone post any photos of any before. I'm not overly familiar with what young leucistics look like but it doesn't look like the copper babies I'm used to seeing. The spots don't look uniformly spread across the body.

Leucistics can also appear to have a red eye in the right light, see photo below. Good luck with your babies and keep us updated as they grow.

Regards Neil

Attachments

• axie.jpg
    axie.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6,222

Deraulle

Reaction score
Just a quick update, I got in contact with the breeder and asked about the parents of my two. One was Golden Albino, the other White (Leuicistic?) He said they produced 100% white eggs.

I am aware that Coppers have dark red eyes with a shiny ring of iridophores around them like my wee one appears to.

However, I also am aware that the Leuicistic's often have dark markings along their backs and heads
Although on my one this is a sandy-gold color and is not just patches, it covers the face and carries along the gill crest completely, almost like he's sandy on the top and leuicistic on the bottom which confuses me further!

The more I learn about this the more confused I get! :rofl: I'll be sure to post pictures as he grows

Attachments

• DSCF1238.jpg
    DSCF1238.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 391

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
Wow, I Love this color and its eyes!!! So going to follow and hope for updated photos.

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
I have three juveniles just like these too. Two of the lighter one and one of the yellow one. All with dark eyes, but the yellow one has a prominent gold ring about her eyes and iridiphores clearly on the gills.
Mine were bred in Victoria (in Colac), and I am sure at least one of the parents is leucistic or albino but I can't quite remember which.

I am happy to sell one of the sandy coloured ones, if anyone is in Melbourne and interested.
I was going to ask on this forum about what to call this colouring, but it looks like you have answered my question!

tayo1991

Reaction score
Where abouts in Melbourne do you live?? I am currently looking for a friend for my axolotl :)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Heres a better quality picture of Stitch :) The one with the extra little arm. You can kinda see his burgundy eye color but it's really obvious when he's facing a bright light.

Stitch is such a perfect name!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1