Leeches, yuck.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

It appears I have a leech infestation in one of my axolotl tanks. Normally any & all critters are welcome, but these little boogers are starting to get on my axies so they have to go. I figure it comes down to either remove axolotls and introduce a chemical or predator to kill them, or drain the whole tank, dry it out to kill everything and then refill & re-cycle it. Is there an easier way to rid the tank of these little f@#!ers? One of the leeches tried to suck Nuggets eyeball. He's fine, but the leeches really pissed me off. They messed with my baby and now it's personal :violent::kill::violent:

Hello,

It appears I have a leech infestation in one of my axolotl tanks. Normally any & all critters are welcome, but these little boogers are starting to get on my axies so they have to go. I figure it comes down to either remove axolotls and introduce a chemical or predator to kill them, or drain the whole tank, dry it out to kill everything and then refill & re-cycle it. Is there an easier way to rid the tank of these little f@#!ers? One of the leeches tried to suck Nuggets eyeball. He's fine, but the leeches really pissed me off. They messed with my baby and now it's personal :violent::kill::violent:

0.0 eeeeek that sounds awful!

Sorry I can't offer anything helpful -
I'd be icked out by leeches too o_O

Hope it's not hard to rid the tank of the little blood suckers!

<3 >o_o< <3

Leeches hate salt-- i think it is the most natural way to kill them by increasing the salt level in the water with aquarium or table salt, but you would have to re-cycle the tank, and pull out all the plants, tankmates and the lotls.

If you have plants. Keep them in QT for at least 3 weeks, or more, they will die of hunger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back