Heatwave in Australia :(

thebatsons5

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I'm new to the wolrd of axolotls. My 9 yr old son received an axolotl for Christmas & no matter how much research we've done we keep getting contradictory info. So I'm a little concerned we haven't set up the little guys' tank properly. It's a 50L tank & needs to be full for the filter to be working. We've placed a few rock/tree trunk decorations to sit up high to assist him in swimming up for air, but we haven't seen him get up there yet.
Since finding this website, we've also realised we've only been testing PH levels. We need to test ammonia/nitrate levels as well?
However my main concern is the heatwave we're having at the moment. I'm replacing ice bricks in the tank a few times a day, but can't seem to get the temperature below 20 Deg C. The axolotl seems to be losing weight now & his tail is turning a pinky colour. We've begun feeding him morning & night (frozen bloodworms, previously just night time) & he is eating happily.
Any advice would be much appreciated. The whole family has become quite attached to this little axolotl & we all want to make sure he's with us for as long as possible.
(I've added a couple of photos of the tank & our axolotl)

Attachments

• IMG_0731[1].jpg
    IMG_0731[1].jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0732[1].jpg
    IMG_0732[1].jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 201
Hi & welcome

I'm in sydney & also in the heat.

A thing to do immediately / urgently is to remove all the small gravel you have - they can ingest it & it can block them up, causing no eating & many problems.

Leave the bottom bare for the moment & then get some 'playsand' from bunnings $7 for 20kg - rinse, rinse, rinse then rinse again & pop that it on the bottom.

While you're at bunnings grab a big of 500 earthworms or start a worm farm at home :) they are the BESTEST food for axolotls & they don't really require variety so a couple of worms a day & it'll be a healthy axie :)

As for temp - yes under 20 is ideal (16-18) but after a lot of reading here keeping them at 23 max is not going to be a problem - if the tank hits 25 then it's time to panic :eek: using frozen bottles is good but ideally you want to have 3 or 4 2litre bottles & rotate them when they're half melted - that will stop the temp fluctuating too much. You can also keep the lid up at the front of the tank & direct a fan (pedestal, tower, box) over the water surface - that will reduce temp by a couple of degrees.

Keeping tank away from windows in a cool place is best & check the lighting on the tank - it can generate quite a bit of heat if the old fluorescent style.

Testing water is a must Ph isn't as important as ammonia / nitrite & nitrate.
If the tank is new the ammonia cycle will need regular checking & you should be doing regular water changes with dechlorinated tap water you've left to age for a day or more (bunnings has great painters buckets with lids - keeps aged water easy - no I don't work for bunnings but it's cheaper than aquarium shops ;) lol)

Ammonia will spike & at first nitrIte appears - once nitrIte tests at zero then you should be getting nitrAte readings - nitrAte is easier to control with water changes & much less toxic to fish than ammonia & nitrIte (don't worry this gets less confusing after a while)

There's a great liquid test kit
API - Freshwater Master Test Kit
That'll do the lot :) check the use by date & by the freshest kit you can.

The pink tail could be from ammonia or water issues so testing ASAP is essential. You can also take a sample of the water to a local fish shop & they can test it for you.

My best advice is dont believe everything pet shops / fish shops tell you - it inevitably ends up with them needing you to buy something. This forum is the place to get good answers. The experts on here are great & I although I still have my 'L' plates on they've taught me everything I know :)

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Stay cool! :-/ gahhhh

<3 >o_o< <3

The lid on your tank also traps the heat. Getting a screen lid will allow water to evaporate and let it get cooler. Clip-on fans or any house fan can be placed over the water to cool it down. Fans on a tank can reduce temps a couple of degrees, and that combined with ice bottles should bring it down low enough. Also consider taking the axolotl out and putting it in the fridge until you can sort out your temperature issues. No need to let it suffer from temperature and stress as you're fixing things.

You may want to look at investing in a Chiller for the tank.
though not cheap they take a lot of worry out of looking after an axie in hot weather. Last week here in adelaide it reached 45 and i didnt have to worry about the temperature of my axies tank because of the chiller.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back