Can I use tap safe and prime?

Jennadenny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
jenna
Was just wondering if I can use prime and tap safe at the same time when doing water changes I'm trying to get my nitrate and nitrite down quicker

Prime will inhibit your cycle.

The best way to get water parameters into check is with water changes, not chemicals.

Prime will inhibit your cycle.

The best way to get water parameters into check is with water changes, not chemicals.

Hi,

Would love to know your thoughts on chloramines? We have these in our tap water and most of what I've read is they need to be treated with chemicals before adding to tank. We have been doing this prior to water changes and letting the water age for 24 hours before adding to the tank. Should we stop with the chemicals??

Thanks!

I do daily water changes at the min I have always put tap safe in to get rid of ammonia but its staying at 0.25 but my nitrites and nitrates are starting to go up, someone said to use prime as well but I didn't know if they can be used together

Peatea, chloramines should be removed before adding water to the tank. The only way to remove chloramines (not chlorine) is through a dechlorinating agent. This is much different than using chemicals to keep water parameters in check.

Jenna, prime will bind ammonia, and make it unavailable to your beneficial bacteria. This will essentially stop your cycle in its tracks.

Peatea, chloramines should be removed before adding water to the tank. The only way to remove chloramines (not chlorine) is through a dechlorinating agent. This is much different than using chemicals to keep water parameters in check.

Thanks for the clarification, Kaysie

This is my water results

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 223
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back