Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl tank mates

paws4eva

Reaction score
Ok, I know axolotls don't realy mix well with other animals but I was wondering if the following list would be axolotl friendly (not all together) so I could get my axie some company as I don't have enough space in the tank for another axolotl....

- fat bodied goldfish ( too big to fit in axolotls mouth and to slow to nip at axolotl)
- crayfish ( yeah I don't think this one would work... Just putting it in anyway in case anyone has had success)
- crab ( same as crayfish)
- shrimp (don't mind if a few are eaten but I think most are to fast to be eaten and I don't think they're exactly able to nip the axolotl)
-snails (I thought they'd be harmless but have heard of them attacking axolotls)

If any problems arose I'd take the new tankmate back.

On the note of shrimps if I got them breeding in the tank but axie was still eating them would that be good as a staple diet.

kiathepooch

Reaction score
The shrimp is ok,nothing else.
If oyou put loads of plants in,you might get the shrimp to survive longer and possibly breed.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

DeCypher

Reaction score
I don't think any of those should be put with axolotls. There's too many horror stories of species mixing, it's not worth the risk. The shrimp would just get eaten.
The best tank mate is another axolotl :D [provided there's enough space, hides, etc]

JodieBromilow

Reaction score
I've had great sucsees with Danio fish and also White cloud minnow fish, There great as the axolotl's can have a little snack on them it keeps the axolotl occupied with trying to hunt them down and the fish can go in room temp water and they cant harm the axolotl as there tiny, Hope this helps, P.s some of my fish have lasted 5 months without getting eating now they've learnt to stay out the way ;).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls don't need 'company'. They do just fine on their own.

I wouldn't put anything beyond some snack-size shrimp in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1