Tank height

tigmades

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Ashley
I currently have a 29g (30"Lx12"Wx18"H) tank, and I'm considering finding another one that's less tall with a larger foot print (something like 48"Lx14"Wx12"H).

Is there a recommended "minimum tank height"? I will be getting 5 axolotls at 2", and if I fall in love with them all (plan is to keep 2 or 3) I'll definitely need another tank. My father doesn't want me getting a heavier tank (he grumbled about even just the 29g), so:

If 35 gallons what your tank limit as well as no wider than 15", what dimensions do you think would be best (I'm willing to get custom built!)? (You can google aq advisor and use that website to see what demensions = x gallons)

Thanks in advance for your responses, guys! :D

Axolotls do fine at any depth, but need a large foot print. They're bottom-dwelling critters.

Its also worth considering water volume when you decide how many to keep. They need the water to be ammonia free but produce quite a lot. It can build up to dangerous levels very quickly if you have too many animals in a small volume of water, especially when your set up is new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My 29g has been running for 2-3 years (still has some fish within that will be relocated when it's time), so I was hoping to kick start the other aquarium using filter/substrate and plants. I won't be getting them for a month so I have time to make adjustments as needed. Since they grow so fast, 2 in the 29g and 3 in the other with larger footprint should suffice?

That should be adequate. That will (hopefully) also allow you to split males and females to avoid undesired breedings.

Well after calculating how much it would cost a year in electricity and water (a whooping $15/year) my dad has resigned to me getting another tank! My question now is that the dimensions will be ~ 56" x 15" x 15" (54.5g)... Is this enough for my 5? This way I could keep feeder guppies and shrimp in the 29g without worry of them disappearing too fast or injuring my axies! Also: I'm guessing I'll need 2 sponge filters in a tank that long, one at each end?

You also don't have to clean as often in larger tanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back