Are waxworms okay for lotls?

Ftskayla

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bait shop around here only has those right now. :c I can't find any earthworms for the life of me!

They're fine as a treat, but not as a staple. If they're all you can find, go for it.

I'm going to keep searching for some regular earthworms. I have tried almost every gas station and even walmart! But their worms looked like they had been in there for months. (Due to the mold growing on them.) It's funny because I live in Minnsota, so I would have imagined finding some worms would be easy because of all the fishing they do here. I'll buy some online if I have too. I just want a healthy lotl.

Earthworms aren't all that popular for ice fishing, so they're a little harder to find in the winter. Once spring rolls around, they'll be everywhere again.

Okay thank you! Will he be okay on the waxworms until then though? I'll try to find something else of I can.

I can't help with waxworm info but once it warms back up and people start fishing again walmart should have them. All the walmarts by me always have them in the warmer seaspn but not during winter months. Have you tried any pet stores?

Try mixing up the wax worms with smaller worms like bloodworm, tubifex, white worms and black worms. I'd also offer some quarantined guppies and possibly some quarantined shrimp. It's best to have as much variety in their diet, especially if they're not getting earthworms. Waxworms, tubifex and white worms are considered very fatty so be careful.

Try looking on the internet for pellets, I always have some for earthworm related emergencies, ebay is often a good place to start.

Novolotl pellets, pellets designed for salmon and Hikari carnivore pellets are all suitable.

Just be diligent in siphoning out uneaten ones as they can break down in the water and gunge your tank up :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back