Question about coughing/sneezing/hiccuping/burping?

KOsika

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've had our axolotl for about 4 days now, but I'm not sure how old he is. Basically, he's been doing what I can only describe as sneezing. After he eats food, he'll stop and not move, then suddenly leap in place (as if comically sneezing) while particles of food blow out of his gills. He floats to the bottom, and then continue about his business as if nothing happened. I can't tell if he's spitting anything back out. Except for the smaller particles, I don't see any chunks of food.

Our tank is slate bottom, so there shouldn't be any rocks or sand getting into his digestive system, and he seems otherwise fine. He eats salmon pellets. I'm just concerned about feeding him if he's just going to spit it back up. Could it be that he needs his water changed? I know the filter needs changing, but I won't have time to go get replacements until Saturday. The tank is still clean regardless and he's just as active as is normal for an axie in a new environment.

I've done some research on the subject and a lot of people talk about regurgitation, which might be it, if he actually spit anything out. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything helpful. So hopefully you all have some helpful thoughts on whether or not our axie is alright. Thanks!

steve3_zpse57ae5ca.jpg

My axolotls leap backwards whilst eating & do some pretty strange stuff while eating.

Have you tried feeding an earthworm or two yet instead or as well as the pellets? That's when they do the craziest stuff while hunting & eating :)

Keep an eye on him (as if you can keep your eyes off him) but I'm pretty sure that's normal behaviour :) if you think the filter is a bit close test the water parameters to see if you need to do more frequent water changes - that way you can keep on top of water quality issues.

I love the slate bottom tank :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Are you sure it's coming out of the gills and not the sides of his mouth?

My two are messy eaters when it comes to pellets, they roll them around in their mouths and suck them in and out of their mouths before eventually deciding they are worth swallowing.

Now earthworms are a different matter, if I wave a worm even vaguely near them it disappears so quick I sometimes doubt I had a worm there in the first place!

Axolotls eat with two gulps of water, the first one you usually see the food disappear and then the second gulp some will come back up. Try earthworms, axolotls eat these a bit easier as they're in bigger, more manageable pieces (Not to mention they are delicious ;) )

Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel a lot better about poor Steve's hiccuping. He's been more active and hasn't been doing it as much, so I think he's alright. I'll look into getting earthworms along with the pellets :)

Hey,

My axolotl can be a 'violent' eater. He once took such a big mouthful he flew almost halfway across the tank. It can look scary but it should be normal :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back