Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Help!

Axolotl Tardis

Reaction score
Recently one of my axolotls has become sick, was fine 3 days ago. He is refusing food (although he did eat some blood worms and pellets yesterday) and is swimming as if he is unbalanced. He is also swimming to the water line as if to get air but just continues swimming. His tank mate seems fine and is still eating. He has fungus on his gills at the moment which we are treating with salt baths (he has has this before and salt baths seem to fix it).

I checked the ammonia and PH levels before posting this and have since then cleaned the tank:
Ammonia- 0.5
PH- 7.5
Temp- 21 oC

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated, I have attached a photo from the top and from behind him.

Attachments

• gills.jpg
    gills.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 172

FX1C

Reaction score
Did you test for nitrite/nitrate as well?
How long has the tank been running - is it cycled?

Also did you test after cleaning & water change? What are the readings now?

Could you please post a picture of the whole tank - it sometimes helps to pick up things.

Does your tank have gravel in it or did this axolotl come from a tank with gravel?

Hopefully the people here can help to work out what's wrong with him soon.

<3 >o_o< <3

kiathepooch

Reaction score
^^^
This.
Also you need to do a water change asap. That ammonia level is too high,it needs to be at zero.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

EmbryH

Reaction score
You say he was fine three days ago? How often/what do you feed them? That axie looks very underweight. Much more underweight than simply three days without food would make him...

Axolotl Tardis

Reaction score
I have cleaned it again and the readings are:
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0.25

The tank does have a very fine layer of sand for them to walk on.
I feed them every second day, they hand feed and they eat blocks of thawed Heart/prawn .

Attached are pictures of the tank.

Our local aquarium has suggested a fungus treatment at half strength, it contains:
-malachite green,1mg/ml
-formaldehyde solution,1mg/ml
-dehydroabietylamine acetate,0.24mg/ml
-acriflavine1mg/ml

What do you think?

Attachments

• Tank front.jpg
    Tank front.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 153
  • tanktop.jpg
    tanktop.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 131

FX1C

Reaction score
Do not believe anything a fish shop tells you! All they want to do is sell stuff so the last advice they'd ever offer is to just do a salt bath - if that was the best option.

Wait for advice from here BEFORE doing anything with chemicals, there's plenty of options & chemicals should always be a last resort.

How often do you do water changes & how much of a percentage of the tank do you change?

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
Also feeding earthworms is the best!

The frozen heart & shrimp is no where near as good as freezing destroys protein cells & isn't as good as fresh live food options - especially earthworms.

Please take some time to read the topics on the forum about proper feeding. Often the best foods (worms!) are cheaper & easy to find - they also make much less mess in the tank!

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I syphon the water once or twice a week and half empty it and refill it. One a month I empty it fully and put the axolotls in a separate container.

Is this a tank with filter? What kind of filter?

A 100% change should never be required in a cycled tank. Just regular smaller percentages changed out with regular removal of uneaten food & waste.

You'll find it difficult to balance the tank parameters doing anything extreme like total water changes & clean outs as all the beneficial bacteria are covering every surface & you need those there to convert ammonia to nitrate which is far less toxic & much easier to control with regular small water changes :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
There are two filters. A box filter and recently got a UV filter.

Firstly that looks like a fine gravel in your tank & I would be considering taking it out & leaving tank bare bottomed or get a bag of plays and from Bunnings $7 (wash it really well)

Also, your water levels look very low, the more water you have the easier it will be to keep the temperature stable, deeper water is fine for axies as they like to swim about.

Another problem i see lot of flow coming from your filter into the tank - axies don't like water movement & you can try angling it so it trickles against the glass - or place a plant in front of it.

Testing your water regularly is a big part of having an aquarium - it really is a fine balanced science & needs accurate testing - not just guess work. Please either get a testing kit (API Freshwater Master Kit is ideal) or take your water to your local fish / shop they sometimes do free testing for you.

FX1C

Reaction score
For now - turn off the lights & leave the little guy to just chill out in a darkened room :) he's had a lot of stuff happening around him & will probably be dressed from all that.

Is the substrate in your tank gravel?
Do you feed them from the ground - like dropping in food / pellets / cubes / worms straight off the gravel? He may have eaten some - do you notice him eating the sand / gravel when he's eating?

If it is fine gravel I would take it out as a matter of urgency - axies eat it & it builds up & clogs their intestines. Best with very fine sand or just glass bottom.

Keep us updated & if you've got any questions concerns keep asking them :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
Stressed not dressed :-/ d'oh lol

<3 >o_o< <3

CJ1981

Reaction score
Ok, I have moved the water flow and have fixed the water level. There is still no change to him and he still refuses to eat.

Thank you for your help so far.

He's had alot of changes recently, give him a bit of time to settle.

Keep offering earthworms and he will crack eventually.

FX1C

Reaction score
Its more like coarse sand then gravel. I feed them by hand just above the ground. I have noticed him eat some but only a small amounts.

Hopefully he gets better soon.

Coarse sand can probably be just as bad as gravel. I noticed in the pics the grains seemed larger than ideal.

Even if he eats only a little bit, it can still build up & cause impaction. I would remove it for now & find something more suitable to add later. Even a small risk is too much, especially if its your axies long term well being that is the risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1