Photo171.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,859
  • Photo169.jpg
    Photo169.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Photo168.jpg
    Photo168.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4,859
I've had them since Nov. 2012. My fish (which were removed immediately) ate thier gills. They never grew back. Why? Also, the white bumps on the stomach, black bumps on the body and red bumps of the side...what is it? I've done lots of research and cant find anything similar.
However, they are extremely active all day long, eat very well every day and show no signs of stress. These bumps have been there for months.

I have no idea, but I don't think it looks like an axolotl :confused: could it be a ribbed newt?
Have you got any photo's of what it looked like before?
I would be tempted to lower the water so it is quite shallow and maybe have an area that it can go onto land of it needs to.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have any photos of what they looked like before. But they had large gills and smooth skin. The water temp is 20 degrees.

Yea, I'm with Julia, that's no axolotl. Where did you buy him/her?

I agree, I don't think that is an Axolotl. I have been Googling images like crazy and can't find another picture of an Axolotl that looks anything like yours I'm sorry :(

That's a spanish ribbed newt (Pleurodeles Waltl): Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pleurodeles waltl. A nice, hardy species but quite obviously not an axolotl! I have one myself:
neekalovesyou-albums-leeloo-picture24781-a.jpg

Newts and salamanders larvae alike very often look similar (if not exactly the same) to the inexperienced keeper. This is P. Waltl larvae:
l.jpg

Have a read through the caresheet if you're willing the keep her. Many people keep Ribbed newts fully aquatic so the water level shouldn't be too much of an issue, you may want to lower it for the time being though, to see what she prefers. Some like going on land, in which case an island will be needed. Some stay fully aquatic thus preferring higher water levels. Looks female to me in the picture as she's rather plump. If not I suggest finding her a new home or taking her back to the store. I'd also tell them they've got a species mix up.

Spanish ribbed newt. They're dirt common in Canada right now, and breeding in some stores as well.

looking at the picture of the baby newt you have posted, it looks very similar to my axie, is he in fact an axie?

stitch.jpg

looking at the picture of the baby newt you have posted, it looks very similar to my axie, is he in fact an axie?

View attachment 27240

The other picture was posted with the additional information that it very similar to an axolotl hence how a mix up could occur.

Your pic looks like a typical axie to me :)

<3 >o_o< <3

View attachment 27240

As Nikki said, yours looks like a cute little juvenile axie to me. Fortunately Ribbed newts, although not uncommon, aren't quite as commonly found in the UK as some other countries and there are a lot of reliable, knowledgeable axolotl breeders over here :happy:

Oh thanks :D i started to panic thinking if he WAS a newt i wouldnt know how to look after him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back