Axolotl Making Weird Noise

Kurant

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hello to All !

One of my Axolotl (Leucistic, Male of about 20 cm aprox) last week started making some weird noise, this exactly happens when he goes for a gulp of air.
He has never done something like this, I have him since Decemeber 2011, when he was a little baby.
I'm from Chile, on spanish there is no info of axolotls making noises, I had search for information of this and find two threads :

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...l-general-discussion/81403-axolotl-barks.html

and

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...discussion/70376-do-axolotls-make-noises.html

Here is Summer and is very Hot, the day he started making this noise was on a day that were 96.8 F` (36 C`), the moment when he started with the noises, water was on almost 78 F` (26 C`)
On the threads that I post, there is people saying that they axolotl actually makes noises or ''barks'' but.. ..

-Why happens this?
-Is this normal?
-Is this good? or bad?
-What can I do to help him?

Hope you can help me !

Thank you !

lol this happens. It's normal. It's just the sound of them sucking up air. The squeaking is fine.

The water temperature is WAAAY too high. You need it to be much cooler! Keep it in the 60s Fahrenheit.

To help your axolotl, try moving his tank to the coldest room of the house. I freeze water bottles and keep them in the tank to keep the water cool. You can also buy fans to keep a breeze on the water. If you have the money for it, buy a water chiller.

lol this happens. It's normal. It's just the sound of them sucking up air. The squeaking is fine.

The water temperature is WAAAY too high. You need it to be much cooler! Keep it in the 60s Fahrenheit.

To help your axolotl, try moving his tank to the coldest room of the house. I freeze water bottles and keep them in the tank to keep the water cool. You can also buy fans to keep a breeze on the water. If you have the money for it, buy a water chiller.

Hello Embry

Is normal ?
But is just not squeaking, is like he were on pain, is a very loud noise..
None of my other axolotls does this.

I move my Axolotl to a Cooler, on a bowl, I put a lot of ice and Temperatura is on 60s Fahrenheit, sometimes on 65s..

Also I have noticed that my Axolotl now has red toes, sometimes he gets very redness...
This also started on that hot day..
Is this normal too?

I am really worried.. ..

Could you post some pictures of the redness?

Have you tested your water for ammonia levels etc? If so what are the levels (ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite).

With regard to the noise, mine have been known to make loud noises when coming up to take a breath, sometimes like a loud boom or whooping noise, it is has startled friends and family at times!

Could you post some pictures of the redness?

Have you tested your water for ammonia levels etc? If so what are the levels (ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite).

With regard to the noise, mine have been known to make loud noises when coming up to take a breath, sometimes like a loud boom or whooping noise, it is has startled friends and family at times!

Hello CJ1981 !

I have not tested the water, Could that be the problem?
I'm glad to read this, so.. I can be calm with de loud noise, I was really worried.
The first time I heard the noise I thought it was my hedgehog, when I realized that was my axolotl I really got freak it out and very sad, I thought my axolotl got sick because of hot temperature.

I will post some pictures now, since that hot day my axolotl got a weird color and sometimes he gets really redness..

Hello CJ1981 !

I have not tested the water, Could that be the problem?
I'm glad to read this, so.. I can be calm with de loud noise, I was really worried.
The first time I heard the noise I thought it was my hedgehog, when I realized that was my axolotl I really got freak it out and very sad, I thought my axolotl got sick because of hot temperature.

I will post some pictures now, since that hot day my axolotl got a weird color and sometimes he gets really redness..

It could be, if the ammonia is high it can irritate their skin - a bit like sunburn.

It could also be that they are just too hot and have flushed red the same way people do when they get hot and sweaty.

Either way it is easily resolved so try not to panic too much ;)

Please forgive the bad quality, pics where taken with the cellphone.

img2638h.jpg

It won't let me open it :(

From your description and the fact that it started on a hot day I think the redness is their way of telling you they are too hot.

Do what Embry said and float some bottles of frozen water in your tank, you will need several to keep swapping them as they defrost. A normal 2 litre coca cola (or pepsi ;)) bottle will do, just fill it about 3 quarters full and put it in the freezer.

If you have one or can get one then put a fan - a normal house hold fan or desk fan, nothing fancy, and direct it so it is blowing on the surface of the water, that should drop your temperature several degrees.

If high temperatures will be common in your area I would seriously consider investing in a chiller if you can afford one, it will make life much easier for you and your Axolotls :D

Hum I'm having several issues uploading the pics, when i post them it doesnt work :/

The temperature of my axolotl is OK, since that hot day, the problem is that he keeps ''weird''..
I would like to buy a chiller, I will open another post so I can get some advice.

Thank you so much for answering me, I will try to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the pictures, so you can give me your opinion.

No problem, it's what we are all here for.

Good Luck :blob:

We don't allow hosting from that site. Upload your photos directly by clicking 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments'.

We don't allow hosting from that site. Upload your photos directly by clicking 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments'.

Wow, that explains everything.
Why Caudato dont allow hosting from this site? just to know.

Thank you

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

So finally I could upload the pics.
Like I wrote, since that hot day my axolotl got like this ''weird'' color and redness sometimes..

Does somebody see something wrong or strange with my axolotl?
I would love to see your opinions.

It looks normal to me. (Or it's hard to see on my cell phone)

All my axies produce different sounds.
I have a squeaky one, a normal gulper, one that makes the sound of a wet fart, a whistling one...

Light axolotls go red when they are too hot or the water quality is bad. There is also a difference in colour when they are inactive at night, they go paler, this is more noticeable in the darker morphs. Axolotls gulp air and make a noise, it is sometimes a loud squeak, nothing to be concerned about. The temp you allow the tank to reach is too hot, it will have a detrimental effect on your axolotls health at some point.

Hosting is not allowed from that site because we do not agree with their advertisement policies.

All my axies produce different sounds.
I have a squeaky one, a normal gulper, one that makes the sound of a wet fart, a whistling one...

Oh my gawd I nearly choked on my tea!

Wet farts are something I'm sooo looking forward to now :D

I may be in my 40's but I still laugh like a toddler at fart noises lol :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Well, it has been a while since I post this, so sorry for that.
Anyway, I would like to thank all of you for helping me and answering, I was really concern.

Thank you !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back