Axolotl eat gravel :(

Lamina

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hello..im newbie to axolotl..before i bought Lulu (my axolotl name :3 ) i have done research about axolotl care..but i missed read that axolotl will eat gravel and im using gravel..i saw Lulu ate the gravel..but im not sure how many gravel lulu have eaten..but its belly not too big..lulu still eating and pooping normaly..but the last time it poop was last night..i already remove all pebbles and gravel..the gravel is about 1-1.5cm..im so worry..what should i do?will the gravel pass? i dont want lulu to die..its my birthday present..lulu is about 5 inch from head to tail..

It's good that you've already removed the gravel from the tank. If your axie is eating and pooping than she should be fine.

Just keep removing the gravel as it comes out of your axolotl :)

ok..but what if lulu is eating but no pooping?lulu already ate this morning but theres still no sign of poop..

ok..but what if lulu is eating but no pooping?lulu already ate this morning but theres still no sign of poop..

Poop takes a little while to form :)

You've done the best thing by removing it before there was any problem - & another great thing you've done is to do your research & join this forum.

Keep an eye out for poop & also for gravel that passes through.

I'm pretty sure LuLu (cute name!) will be just fine - after all her mama is looking after her very well :)

<3 >o_o< <3

A lot of people make this same mistake and the axolotl recovers just fine, especially if it is currently eating and pooping. Sometimes they will pass gravel for upwards of a month. I'm glad you educated yourself before something bad happened. Signs of impaction would be not eating, not pooping, bloated belly, seeming distressed or floating at the surface of the water, and sometimes swelling of the cloaca. I agree, just keep a close eye for now.

now lulu is eating..but no sign of poop..but i noticed some light brown dust on the bottom..maybe poop?

now lulu is eating..but no sign of poop..but i noticed some light brown dust on the bottom..maybe poop?

It could be poop that's been walked through or sat on for a while :-/
I'm sure mine think they're chickens & sit on their poops like they're eggs :eek:
The poop will vary depending on what they've been eating pellets make more dusty looking poop :D

<3 >o_o< <3

my axolotl body is dirty due to the dust..how do i clean my axolotl body?

Whilst your axolotl is in the fridge you should change 100% of the water daily. The water needs to be the same temperature or this will stress your axie.

Just do a water change, up to 50% of the water and make sure you siphon up as much of the dust as possible. Your Axolotl will clean itself. Keep an eye, if more dust settles on the bottom of the tank after the water change then do daily water changes of 20-25% siphoning up as much of the dust as you each time. Don't be tempted to try and siphon or wipe your Axolotl's skin as it will damage the slime coat leaving you with a very peeved Axolotl!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back