Axies won't breed

poot69

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Please excuses me if I sound a bit daft im not very knowledgeable when it comes to breeding. but I have had my axolotls a while now and they havnt done the deed. I have one male and 3 females I feed them regularly and stuff. Should I take my make out for a little while into another tank? If so for how long? And also is there anything else I can do to maybe speed the process ? Thanks :)

Hi,

Axies usually breed in winter/early spring in our area of the world. Perhaps during Autumn you could remove the male and after a period of isolation he'll be dancing the first night that he is reintroduced with the girls. I bought a male axie who had been in isolation and he was ready for action on the very first night he entered the tank. I actually felt a little bit protective of my little girl as she had lived such a peaceful life before he arrived. However it was a wonderful thing for me as I have really enjoyed all their babies.

Good luck I hope it all works well for you.

Cheers,
Kerry

How long should I keep him in isolation for?

Apparently dropping the water temperature by a few degrees triggers mating activity.

Mine won't breed as well. 3 females and 1 male. But nothing happened so far. They're mature. 2,5 years old...
Hope that link works for me as well.

I've also found that chaning up their tank does wonders for triggering them. I'll go in and do a good cleaning, then move all of their hides and plants around, maybe adding some new things and throw in a 20% water change at the same time. It seems to work most times for us.

They've just moved into a brand new tank about two weeks ago with brand news hides as stuff and I added another hide about a week ago. Ill try the isolation thing maybe

I found that my wont breed when they are together (two females and a male) but as soon I separated them the miracles happened. Two days after removing one female got eggs. I gave new mother time to breathe so swapped the females and two days after second had eggs. Or maybe they just shy.

I think a lot depends on the axie- My Molly dropped a batch two days after Midwinter last year (First batch- no survivors from the ones I kept :( ), followed by Goldie a few more days after that. Then on New Year's Day, (After Midsummer, I might add!) I messed around with the lights which coincided with a very cool few days (Followed by some of the hottest in history), and BAM! eggs (thank you, Molly!). I then was feeding those babies quite late a week and a half ago, turned on the light (after another cold day) to see what I was doing, and 12 more eggs (Which look like they'll hatch within the next few days *touch wood!*.

One thing to remember is axies are predispositioned to laying in winter (I remember reading somewhere that they timed it so that the babies would be able to nom on the tadpoles laid after them :D) , so it may be an idea to wait until midwinter to see if they breed naturally- perhaps facilitate the room they're in adjusting to match the outdoor world?

For me, I'm trying to keep the adults' tank completely stable now, hopefully discouraging breeding until Midwinter so Molls (Who is quite portly- she really is a (good!) Molly Weasley!) doesn't overdo herself, and when that comes around, hopefully nature will take its course.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back