Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many axies to get?

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
So my local breeder finally has his axies on frozen food and is coming to town next week. My question now is how many should I get? Originally, I only wanted one but my Mom suggested that I get 4 in case if some die. They're not particularly rare here but they are kinda hard to get a hold of... What do you guys think? Does 2 sound more reasonable? I'm pretty pumped. I've been waiting for months now. :D

FX1C

Reaction score
You don't mention what size tank you have & is it cycled & ready to add axies or will you be raising young juveniles?
What set up are you planning?
That will be the major factor as to how many axolotls you can comfortably & healthily house together in your conditions.

I'd say stick to one or two depending on your tank of course. I truly hope that you don't have any losses - if you've been planning for months hopefully you've been reading up on all you need to know to do the best for your new additions :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
You don't mention what size tank you have & is it cycled & ready to add axies or will you be raising young juveniles?
What set up are you planning?
That will be the major factor as to how many axolotls you can comfortably & healthily house together in your conditions.

I'd say stick to one or two depending on your tank of course. I truly hope that you don't have any losses - if you've been planning for months hopefully you've been reading up on all you need to know to do the best for your new additions :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Oh sorry, I forgot. It's 20 g (just for now because they're so small I don't want to lose them in the 40 g.) It's been cycling for nearly 2 months now 0.0; ( I've been waiting for awhile) Set-up? Just some custom hides and a few fake plants to start out with. The axolotls themselves are about 1.5-2 inches I think. I haven't seen them yet, this is just what the breeder estimated a few months ago.

I hope I don't lose anything either. I had a lovely no aquatic death streak going on for nearly a year until I brought home a feeder fish to keep as a pet. He was a goner in 2 days. Luckily, my 22 other goldfish were okay but it did ruin the perfect streak I had going on. ( I feel bad for the fish though, we named him luigi because he had a mustache...but you know how feeder fish are) I've done tons of research but I still feel uneasy...I hope two of them will make it through a long life with me.

FX1C

Reaction score
Sounds you are ready & raring to go :)

Great to hear you've already got the tank setup & you definitely seem like you've done the research.

All I can say is now is I can't wait for you to get your axies & then share lots of pics with us :D

How long till they arrive?

<3 >o_o< <3

sugarkandii

Reaction score
They're legal here haha- we have a species of our own, actually.. Mud Puppies Go Wild - YouTube :)

When your babies start growing, you may be better off going with a larger tank if you want to house 4 of them- they can also be quite cannibalistic in their juvenile state, so make sure there's a hideout for each of them to try and avoid any territorial related nipping.

shannamarie

Reaction score
They're legal here haha- we have a species of our own, actually.. Mud Puppies Go Wild - YouTube :)

When your babies start growing, you may be better off going with a larger tank if you want to house 4 of them- they can also be quite cannibalistic in their juvenile state, so make sure there's a hideout for each of them to try and avoid any territorial related nipping.

...they are definately legal here..some places just have a hard time importing depending on the province..apparently ontarios fairly easy though...also....mudpuppies..at least canadian ones (I don't know if there's others) as far as I know aren't even remotely related to axolotls....and I've heard they bite

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mudpuppies (Necturus spp.) and axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) are not closely related. The confusion comes in to play especially when people use the colloquial term 'water dog' for larval tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum), confusing 'water dog' with mudpuppy. Since these look nearly identical to axolotls, people assume 'water dogs' are the same as axolotls.

Unfortunately, many people see something with gills and assume they're all the same.

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
I'm getting them next week :D So pumped! I saw a picture of some of them and dem gills.:cool: So long!

As far as law goes I'm sure that it's just California.

WOAH I've never seen mudpuppies before! I'm glad that Canada has it's own strange creatures but they really don't look all that much like Axolotls. Their heads are flatter and gills are shorter. Their eyes also look smaller.

'll go get them another hide but I don't think I'll get four...Not now at least. :bowl:

I have another question. I'm sure some of you have heard of DIY 3d backgrounds and Sandfalls. I was thinking of building one for them what do you think?

sugarkandii

Reaction score
Haha fair enough! The girl who bred and sold my axolotl to our LFS (of which she is an employee) told me they were of the same family- I should have disregarded everything she said after she told me I should buy gravel instead of sand hahah ><!

In terms of building your own 3D background (I'm assuming you mean like a rock wall, and not the spray foam stuff) I'm sure if you use the proper silicone (GH 2 I believe is axolotl safe as well- not 100% sure, however) and other non-metal means of securing it all together, it should be fine :D

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
Haha fair enough! The girl who bred and sold my axolotl to our LFS (of which she is an employee) told me they were of the same family- I should have disregarded everything she said after she told me I should buy gravel instead of sand hahah ><!

In terms of building your own 3D background (I'm assuming you mean like a rock wall, and not the spray foam stuff) I'm sure if you use the proper silicone (GH 2 I believe is axolotl safe as well- not 100% sure, however) and other non-metal means of securing it all together, it should be fine :D

Yea haha Spray foam is too messy. Styrofoam makes a big enough mess as it is XD I hear that 100% silicone should be all right...although it smells.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1