Is it bloat?

KatyWhypes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received my first 2 axolotls on Christmas Eve after months of preparing my set-up (35 gal. tall glass aquarium filled 1/2 way, 2 Eheim canister filters, sand substrate, Coolworks iceprobe chiller for up to 55 gal.) and they've both done beautifully adapting to their new home. However, I have read that hovering around the top of the water is a sign of illness--usually bloat--in axolotls and my female melanoid seems to prefer this location.

She is slender, active, and very enthusiastic about feedings and doesn't have difficulty getting to the aquarium floor when she wants to. Could she be conditioned to beg for food this way or simply just be exploring all levels of the water column? Or should I be concerned?

Attachments

• newt_edited-1.jpg
    newt_edited-1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 200
Bloat is a symptom of an underlying issue. The reason why it is called bloat is because of the bloated appearance due to swelling either by air or fluid.

If one prefers the surface over the other, I would chock it to individual preference, provided that the water parameters are correct. She doesn't look stressed, and it seems too much current is not an issue as well.

I would, however, err on the side of caution and not feed blood worms on sand.

Thank you for your response! I had the sort of innate feeling that she's healthy but I just wanted some outside opinion--I appreciate the input!

In regards to the bloodworms in the picture, I took this picture after an initial feeding and I had planned to suction leftovers out with a turkey baster as suggested by many users. Unfortunately this proved to be more of a messy endeavor than anticipated....what are your suggestions on feedings with a sand substrate?

Feeding jars work well & it doesn't take them long to get used to.

At the size your lotls are I would be feeding them live earthworms - it might take a couple of days to get used to them but they're better for them & easier to clean up :)

Your lotl is a cutie - great smile :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Thank you for your response! I had the sort of innate feeling that she's healthy but I just wanted some outside opinion--I appreciate the input!

In regards to the bloodworms in the picture, I took this picture after an initial feeding and I had planned to suction leftovers out with a turkey baster as suggested by many users. Unfortunately this proved to be more of a messy endeavor than anticipated....what are your suggestions on feedings with a sand substrate?

No worries!

A couple users here use plates, bowls, and even jars to feed blood worms.

Edit: Oops. Didn't see your reply, Nikki.

Also, axies are very lazy! There is higher oxygen saturation at the surface = less work for axies to get oxygen :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back