Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus

demiegab

Reaction score
I was wondering if salt baths were okay for 2 wk old Axies. I have had over half of my larvae die within 3 days and now I seen one that has the fungus on him. I changed water and scrubbed the containers out. I don't want to lose any more, the water tests good, their all eating good (I can tell with their orange bellies) and I cant think of anything else that would cause this.

CJ1981

Reaction score
Would it be safe to salt bath an Axie that young though? I have no experience with such young Axolotls but my instinct would be that there would be little point as salt baths are fairly harsh and would possibly be too much for such a tiny creature?

demiegab

Reaction score
All the Baby's that have I have seen it on have been put in individual tanks but 3 of them died within 20 minutes, i'm running out of stuff to do. The 12 that are alone were fed again just a bit ago they dont seem to hold any brine shrimp down. I dont think their going to make it through the night. would it be a good idea to get some medication for the fungus and treat them all? All of the ones that have died all look good and healthy until the fungus appears. I dont understand why they have gotten this and I feel like it could have been prevented.

demiegab

Reaction score
Orginally I hatched 51 eggs, I'm down to 23 all have died in the last 3-4 days. No fungus appeared on any of them until then. They were kept in groups of 10, and it effected all the tank not just one.

demiegab

Reaction score
I decided that since they were dying I had to try it, I gave all of them a salt bath last night and again this morning and none have died since. It seems to be helping and I haven't seen anymore fungus on them. Hopefully this helps and I don't lose anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1