What is this thing??

Pixel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this on my lotl's gills this morning. I thought it was a parasite so I brought a net over to isolate him from his tankmate. By the time I returned with a net the thing was sitting on the bottom of the tank. It is gelatinous and transparent with many more solid, black, rod shaped things inside. WHAT IS IT?

and what should i do?

thanks~

The picture doesn't seem to be working. Can you re-upload it?

sorry, i'm not sure what happened. here is the picture.

this is the axolotl in question. to my untrained eye it looks healthy, albeit on the skinny side

My first guess would be some sort of insect egg sac but I can't say I've ever seen anything else quite like it so don't quote me on that! Was it just the one you found? Did it appear to actually be clinging to the gills when you first saw it? Being as it came loose so quickly I imagine it could have fallen or slipped from the side of the tank (the glass). How highs your water line from the top of the tank?

Maybe! The only crawlies I have seen in this room are house spiders, but they have spider-webby egg sacs instead of jelly-like. I'm living in the tundra of northern wisconsin, so the insects here aren't active.

The mystery blob did seem to be sticking to the gills, but it came off easily.

After thoroughly looking the tank over, the only thing I noticed was 3 undeveloped axolotl eggs.

The water is about 15 cm from the top of the tank, temp is 18.

It may be a really weirdly decomposed or deformed axolotl egg that just got stuck on his gills. The jelly stuff looks a lot like part of an axolotl egg sack and the black spots could be anything from dirt to axie poop that got stuck on it.

Since it fell right off, I wouldn't worry to much about it since it doesn't seem to be growing on your axie's gills. It seems like it was just something that got caught in it's gills.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back