Odd tail

Asuka

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello, I wanted to ask about my partner's axolotl, he has had it since December with 0 problems. He keeps it in a 30 gallon tank, and the lotl has been growing fine.

However 2 days ago, they noticed that the tail was looking odd, and we believe it could be a sign of stress, but nothing has changed these past days, he still eats like no tomorrow. So we don't really know what it could be.

I performed a Test for my partner.

PH 7
AMMONIA 0
Nitrates 5pmm

they did a partial change 10% today. To be safer.

Tank is 30 gallons

Tankmates: 3 amano shrimp and 5 minnows and 1 wild type axolotl

Temperature is 18C
Diet is composed of Mysis shrimp, blood worms and live earthworms all alternated.
Substrate: silica sand thin

They also noted that the water seems to be getting a bit cloudier than usual from the tap water-- don't know if that could be of any relevance. And the tail was perfectly straight 2 days ago. And the other axolotl seems just fine, with no bentness eating fine, acting fine. Also there is no signs of being veiny, other than the usual veins we see since he is kinda transparent. Gills are fluffy, no signs of shedding, or redness, pinkness or fungus.

Is there something wrong, and what can we do to help him?

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 6,339
I've seen those threads but due to our lack of experience we do not know what to think. From the readings it could be:

- Skin flukes
- Stress
- Genetics

However we cannot seem to find what Skin flukes are nor do we understand how genetics can have a role in the folding of a tail.

But we are considering:

- Using catappa leaves also known as Indian almond leaves
- Salt baths

Have you noticed the water being cloudy straight from the tap or does it only turn cloudy once in the tank? If it looks cloudy before adding it to the tank I suggest getting in touch with your water suppliers, just in case they've added something to the "mixture". To be honest his tail looks fine to me. My axolotls tails look similar on occasion and it's usually due to them sitting awkwardly. It doesn't look folded or ragged. For now I would just keep and eye on it. See if the tail stays like it all the time or if the "waviness" comes and goes. I don't think it's much to worry about, personally.

thanks, It becomes cloudy in the tank-- however there has been a lot of rain and the fish shop person said that it could be the reason that the provider adds more chemicals...

today he has his tail upwards, which my partners find weird, they only seen lotls do that when they poop... is that still alright?? the membrane of the tail looks like it's curling inwardly on the sides its, and the tail looks smaller, it's not the wavy thing of lotl tail of sitting weirdly... perhaps its nothing, we will keep an eye for now-- We performed another test, the params are still good, ammonia 0 ph 7--

We changed the filter today finally, because we couldnt afford a better one, its a nice HOB one and its been running with the other filter (while it gets cycled), it has carbon it in and we have seen the cloudiness improve. So perhaps it was that.

Sorry we got worried, it was just odd to see that the tail was different and we wanted a second opinion and more experienced before discarding everything :)

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 3,482
What are the Nitrate levels in the tank? As important as testing the ammonia.
If you think the tank is cycled it can't hurt to test for Nitrite to make sure.
Good idea adding a carbon filter - hopefully it will help! How long was it in the tank next to the other filter - was it running the whole time? Is there a lot of flow or movement from the filters?

Sorry for all the ?'s - just trying to work out what could be causing the tail issue.

What are the Nitrate levels in the tank? As important as testing the ammonia.
If you think the tank is cycled it can't hurt to test for Nitrite to make sure.
Good idea adding a carbon filter - hopefully it will help! How long was it in the tank next to the other filter - was it running the whole time? Is there a lot of flow or movement from the filters?

Sorry for all the ?'s - just trying to work out what could be causing the tail issue.

it alright, no they were really gentle fluval filters, the water nozzle was aiming against the glass.

The nitrates are 0pmm cause of the partial change, we done one today and yesterday-- in an attempt to see if the cloudiness would be less. 10% each.

it's always running.

Here is a picture of the lotl's I keep taking pictures of his butt lol.

Well I checked again and the curledness was slightly gone, it's been going and coming as pleased. Right now it looks like the second picture, the curling is less, and he is in that odd uncomfortable looking position. I did wave an earthworm and him and he lowered his tail for a second, so I'm glad to know that it's not stuck there.

P.S that is sand on his tail at the end and on the bottom XD

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,026
Here's a strange question - the large rock appears to have eyes like a big axolotl or bigger predator - could that possibly cause any stress to the lotl?
It's a super cute rock but it just occurred to me it may be like living in the direct line of sight from something that sees her as prey... Just a weird idea I had.

<3 >o_o< <3

Here's a strange question - the large rock appears to have eyes like a big axolotl or bigger predator - could that possibly cause any stress to the lotl?
It's a super cute rock but it just occurred to me it may be like living in the direct line of sight from something that sees her as prey... Just a weird idea I had.

<3 >o_o< <3

hahaha its actually a vase, it has those spongey sticky thingies to keep it set upright we didn't think of it till now... we will remove it, perhaps it's the axolotl saying "I'm bigger than you?" like a flare of a betta or a peacock???

I'm going to do that right now XD

hahaha its actually a vase, it has those spongey sticky thingies to keep it set upright we didn't think of it till now... we will remove it, perhaps it's the axolotl saying "I'm bigger than you?" like a flare of a betta or a peacock???

I'm going to do that right now XD

The lotl looks so much better now! I guess it was the vase lol... poor thing... <3 His tail straightened out :D -- it's still a little curly but much much better than a few hours ago, thanks nikki!

<3 >o_o< <3

What great thinking that was id never have thought of that!! :) well done xx

The lotl looks so much better now! I guess it was the vase lol... poor thing... <3 His tail straightened out :D -- it's still a little curly but much much better than a few hours ago, thanks nikki!

wow really? It was just a thought but I am very glad it may have helped moving the vase :D

Here's to happy stress free lotls :)

<3 >o_o< <3

What an inspired piece of 'thinking like a lotl'. And no, I do not believe that's a contradiction in terms - my Boris may be a slow thinker but we're convinced he is a deep thinker!!! ;)

Can I point out that it's not a good idea to keep minnows or amano shrimps in with the axolotls - both could easily end up as a snack (and since amanos are all wild caught and imported specially, that's a pricey snack!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back