Fire Belly not eating???

ivonko

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey guys,

new to amphibians so im sorry about any ignorance on my part,

i bought a fire belly newt about a week or so ago, after buying it i put it into my 55 gallon tank, it really didnt like it in there and stayed on land (basking dock) almost 24/7, i thought it would get used to it but it didnt seem like a possibility (it didnt eat during this time though i tried feeding in many different ways)

so i put it into my 30 gallon red cherry shrimp tank, all thats in this tank are shrimp, snails, and some fish fry,

honestly at this point i wouldnt care if the newt ate all the animals in this tank as long as it ate something! but to this day when i put bloodworms or anything near it it just turns away.

HELP!

There are lots of threads about new fire bellies not eating, I'd go take a look at them if I were you as they'll all say the same, which is this:

If your newt is from a pet shop it is likely imported and very stressed. They can literally take up to 3 weeks to settle in properly. Even if from a captive bred keeper they can take a while to settle somewhere new, especially if they've travelled far. Keeping them in a tank alone would be better than a tank with moving fry and shrimp, so I'd persevere with the other tank. Make sure your water quality is spot on too, as they won't enter the water otherwise. Keep the tank nice and quiet and dark (i.e. no bright lights) and it'll just take time for the newt to feel safe. Lots of plants (fake or real) and hiding places will help a lot too. Unless the newt is already really skinny and starved I wouldn't be worried about two weeks or so without food while they settle in.

That's it in a nut shell, but take a look over previous threads in the fire bellied newts section of the forum for plenty of advise and examples.

Pics of tank and newt might help us to give advise about changes that need to be made to the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back