Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something seems different

Bookaboo93

Reaction score
We have two Axolotls. One is albino and one is black. The black one seems to be mostly be on the bottom but our albino one seems to float on the surface all the time and seems to when he swims he swims side to side (as in it looks like he is trying to turn him self or barrel roll as some people call it) when he floats on the surface one eye and some of his back is out of the water and sometimes when he swims and turns he pulls his head out of the water for quite some time??? Does anyone know if we should be worried and if anyone understand what I'm saying?
Also we have found on our black axolotl that she has a white puss looking circle just begin her left front leg ??

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this again...
If possible please include some pictures of the floating albino & also the white on your dark one..

Do you test the water? If so what are the parameters for
Ammonia / Nitite / Nitrate?
Water temperature?

Both the issues with both axolotls sound as though they are from water that is not healthy! Testing the water & keeping an eye on temperature is very important. How often & how much (%) water do you remove & change - how often - Weekly / monthly / never

Do you have gravel on the tank floor? Gravel is bad & can be the cause of floating :(

The white puss sounds like it could be fungus - pics will help to diagnose that very quickly! If it is fungus then you will need to do salt baths - but please wait for some other opinions after you've posted a couple of photos.

Please post pics urgently & include an overall picture of the whole tank - you've come to the right place & hopefully you've asked for help in time to get your axolotls back to being healthy & happy!

<3 >o_o< <3

Bookaboo93

Reaction score
I can't upload photos due to using my IPhone as I do not have a computer we have just changed the water and the tank is 600mm length and 300mm width and height. We also do have gravel :s and we have a fake log in there for shade and large flat rocks.
If you know any way to upload photos via phone would be amazing

FX1C

Reaction score
Oh :( I'm so sorry your albino died.

Download the app tapatalk it makes this forum easier to manage & you can easily upload pics from your photo library.

Please post pics of tank & the other axie ASAP! What is the tank temp & water parameters?

<3 >o_o< <3

CJ1981

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :(.

I agree with Nikki that pictures and water parameters would help people to give you a diagnosis.

Please remove the gravel from your tank as soon as you can, gravel and Axolotls are not a good combination - you can put your Axolotl in a plastic bucket or similar with some clean dechlorinated water whilst you do this..

Have a read of the stickies at the top of this forum on fridging and salt baths so if these become necessary you know what to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1