Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton fighting.

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
I have 2 paddletails (3.5 - 4 inches) and they just started fighting, they're in a 40 gallon breeder tank so the have plenty of space but one of them seems to want to fight the other...I'll try putting up a rock barrier and hope that works

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Moved this here so as not to resucitate an old thread.
It is a big tank, but some Pachytriton are also very, very territorial, so make sure to have plenty of visual barriers and hiding places.
There is always a possibility that even with a complex setting, these two may not tolerate each other, and that you might have to separate them, but usually having several hides results in tolerable coexistence, give it a go.

AngieD

Reaction score
Mine used to fight a lot, until I added a lot of extra plants (real and plastic).

I have the majority of my caves and shadowy nooks reasonably close to the sides, and the plastic plants are thickest in the middle of the tank, which blocks their view of each other. I have some live plants close to the edges too.

The result: they prefer to sit at the sides of the tank, and hardly realise the other is there most of the time

I hope this helps

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
hey my newts had a big fight while I was at work and i caught the end of it when i came home from my lunch break...one of them is kinda limping with one arm folded up in her/his chest...(Im not allowed another tank because im on a military base and the max we can have is 50 gallons and i already have 40)...so Im gonna get some glass cut to make a tank divider to put in the middle and hope this works, I really want my baby to get better, I've only had them for 5 days. :( :( :(

P.S thanks for making this its own thread
P.P.S I'll post pictures of my tank and all that later today

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
i've had my baby separated from the other paddle tail for 3-4 days and they are still not using the hurt leg or eating :(:( now im worried

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago I had a smaller male paddletail that was severely injured by his larger female tank mate - she ripped off several of his feet. When I found him after the injury I thought he was dead but decided to fridge him any way. I kept him in a small securely covered plastic container with enough water to completely cover him but shallow enough that he would just need to raise his head to gulp air. I did 100% water changes every few days. I cant find my notes on this but he appeared dead and was non responsive for weeks. I only kept up the routine because he never became purtid. Eventually he came around and began eating again. I don't recall the water temp in the fridge during this ordeal but it was literally weeks - maybe even a few months - before I figured he was well enough to go back in his now divided to seperate him from the female tank. I never weighed him during all this but he never appeared to lose weight and the injured limbs never appeared infected.

So I guess my point in all this is to recommend you do the same - fridge him in several inches of very clean but aged water and give him time to recover. These are very hardy animals and can survive a loto as long as they are given the right conditions and enough time to recover in.

Good luck

Heather

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
well thank you for the hope, he still walks and swims around fine but he wont use the hurt arm unless he feels like it...he isnt lifeless like your example so i dont wanna fridge him yet

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1