Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Runts in axie eggs?

karipatra

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, my eggs are developing nicely, with just 1 or 2 that don't look like they are going to hatch.

But what I noticed today is that there is one, who though developing very well, is teensy tiny compared to everyone else! SO tiny!

I guess it's the runt of the group? I don't know if it will be able to eat anything, it's that small! :/

tigmades

Reaction score
I'd be useless at answering your question, so instead I will ask for what I know the others will - pictures?

karipatra

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have a good enough camera to take a good picture. Just wondering if anyone else has had babies hatch that were smaller than the others and if they made it. :confused:

Minniechild

Reaction score
Think the best you can do is try :) The late hatchers from the batch I'm rearing at the moment are significantly smaller than the first ones were, but with very young bbs, they've put on the millimetres, though not as quickly as their older siblings, which just means a bit longer on the bbs. At the very least, you won't have any regrets in regards to them. Additionally, it'll most likely be wise to separate them out so the teeny ones aren't stressed out by their brothers and sisters :)

Kerry M

Reaction score
I had 3 little ones, two of which had deformed legs. We called them the premmies. We tried filling them with lots of food but their growth was stunted. Sadly I needed to let them go as they could not eat larger food. In the natural environment they would never have survived so I don't feel bad.

karipatra

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Yes, there's no point in worrying as either it will make it or not. And I have already bought 26 tupperware containers to seperate everyone so I can monitor their eating, growing etc., and also not worry about the canabalistic stage. Don't want to have to name anyone Stumpy! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1