Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can anyone I.D this?

Jus10

Reaction score
While deer hunting today(in northeastern Mississippi) I was walking through a slough and noticed several of these little guys darting around.

photo.jpg

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Larvae this small are very hard to ID. Maybe you can dwindle the possibilities by checking state range maps for salamanders/newts. Although not all states have public range maps or accurate range maps.

Doesn't seem like a Plethodon larvae. I'd say Ambystoma judging from head shape. Definitely has the body shape and gills of a vernal pond amphibian. I wouldn't exclude Notophthalmus/Eastern Newt either.

Jus10

Reaction score
I figured it would be pretty hard to ID one this small. Im quite interested to find out what these are! I havent seen a salamander around here in a few years and what I used to find I believe were slimy salamanders,which these couldnt be because of the gills right?

Lamb

Reaction score
What you've got is definitely an Ambystoma larva. But without a better close up, I'm not sure what species it is. You're right about why it can't be a slimy salamander (Plethodon mississippi) - they have direct development, and so don't hatch with gills.

I'm a MS resident as well, although I'm in the southern half of the state most of the time. I know that Ambystoma opacum larvae were out and about by Jan 1st near Clinton, MS, and Ambystoma talpoidium had laid eggs around that time. Ambystoma maculatum started migrating about mid-January near Clinton. In NE MS, there should be 4 spp of Ambystoma; maculatum, opacum, talpoidium, and texanum.

Todd Pierson

Reaction score
The only larvae in the water right now should be marbled salamanders (Ambystoma opacum), and that's consistent with its appearance. Here are a few photographs I have of them:

8390941276_2a690c72d0_b.jpg

6715482441_a73e4f73ed_b.jpg

Jus10

Reaction score
I went back to where I found them to see how they have been devoloping. I plan on brining a jar next time just so I can take some better pictures of them.

Attachments

• sal1.jpg
    sal1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 378
  • sal2.jpg
    sal2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 322
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!