Question: Whats the key to pretty frills?

fishoutofh2o88

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the key to pretty frills? I have one axolotl with long beautiful frills, then another in the same tank with short choppy frills....I thought it was all about the water quality...but why would one be perfect and the other not? uploadfromtaptalk1359521896769.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359521952005.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok just to clarify I noticed I posted a pictures with black sand and white Sand...they are both in the same tank I had just switched sand the picture of the Lucy was an older picture. Still accurate to how her frills look now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Beyond normal genetics, gill fullness is usually attributed to oxygen saturation. Counterintuitive, but lower oxygen saturation leads to fluffier gills, as they need more gill surface area to get necessary oxygen from the water. If you have too much aeration, the gills will atrophy, as they're not needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back