Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few silly questions!

SallyandDom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We've just bought a new axolotl and have a few questions. Our last axie died after only having him for 5 days so we are slightly paranoid! Max seems to be settling in well and we know some of this knowledge will just come with us getting used to each other.

1. Can he recognise our faces? Is he able to differentiate between people or do they just react to someone coming up to their tank?

2. How do I tell the difference between uneaten bloodworms and axolotl poo?! Max isn't bloated so I don't think he is having a problem in this department but I just wanted to know for the future!

3. Does noise affect them? We have max in a tank quite close to our TV as it was the only place in our lounge that was flat enough that the stand wouldn't fall over! We just wanted to check that this wouldn't affect him.

4. Lastly (I think) do axies get lonely? We think that max can see his reflection in the side of the tank and we think he keeps trying to find where it's coming from- isthmus likely to just be curiousness because he thinks there is another axie in the tank? Or is it because he wants a tank mate?

I'm sure we'll have more questions but these are all I we can think of for now. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Sally and Dom

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We've just bought a new axolotl and have a few questions. Our last axie died after only having him for 5 days so we are slightly paranoid! Max seems to be settling in well and we know some of this knowledge will just come with us getting used to each other.

1. Can he recognise our faces? Is he able to differentiate between people or do they just react to someone coming up to their tank?

2. How do I tell the difference between uneaten bloodworms and axolotl poo?! Max isn't bloated so I don't think he is having a problem in this department but I just wanted to know for the future!

3. Does noise affect them? We have max in a tank quite close to our TV as it was the only place in our lounge that was flat enough that the stand wouldn't fall over! We just wanted to check that this wouldn't affect him.

4. Lastly (I think) do axies get lonely? We think that max can see his reflection in the side of the tank and we think he keeps trying to find where it's coming from- isthmus likely to just be curiousness because he thinks there is another axie in the tank? Or is it because he wants a tank mate?

I'm sure we'll have more questions but these are all I we can think of for now. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Sally and Dom

1. I dont know sorry
2. Poop looks like a little black jelly bean And uneaten food shouldnt be left in for a period of time as it can cause ammonia however poop is best to be removed too if possible

3. Noise doesnt affect mine however if its causing vibrations to the water it may stress axie

4. Peoples oppinions differ i personally feel sorry for them alone but others say they have no feelings towards others so thats up to u x

FX1C

Reaction score
Removing all uneaten food to save it messing with the water is essential.

Poop tends to look like a black bean or can just be a black blob or blobs - if you feed Pellets the poo won't stay stuck together as much tends to turn to dust. Siphoning the floor with a turkey baster is best or a gravel vac (carefully as it can suck up an axie easily :eek: )

As for a friend - wait until you know your tank is stable & cycled well. When you test regularly & work out how much you need to change out of the tank weekly to maintain a healthy tank. Once you're satisfied your tank is healthy, your existing axolotl has no issues & your tank is large enough to sustain another - that's when you can get a second one of similar size. Also be prepared to separate them if they don't get along. It's not something to rush into :)

Just concentrate on getting it right for one before contemplating adding another :) enjoy

<3 >o_o< <3

SallyandDom

Reaction score
Thanks!

Just want to clear up- we have been taking the extra food waste out with a turkey baster after every feed. As I wasn't sure what axie poo looked like I thought I might be confusing it with the bloodworms but clearly it looks completely different!

snuggly time

Reaction score

I wonder this too. Just got a new tank and my axie is crazy over his reflection. I too can't figure out if he's curious or maybe slightly aggressive towards 'another axolotl in his space'. Otherwise, he's maybe just trying to escape!

I've found siphoning with a gravel vac is the best way to clean him out. As Nikki said, you've just got to be careful not to catch him in it.

Just keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels and he should be OK. The first couple of weeks are a big worry. I've had mine a few weeks now and just started to get used to him and stop worrying I'm doing everything wrong all the time lol.

Any pics of the little guy? :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!