Any way to tell when babies are going to hatch?

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

Well, my eggs are developing nicely, only 2 didn't do anything. They are 14 days old now, and I can see everything on them now, plus they are moving a bit in their casings. :eek:

I have everything ready to go, and am going to do a practice hatching of my bbs, to make sure I don't have any issues.

But what I'm wondering is if there's a way to tell WHEN they are going to hatch, or is it a guesstimate using water temp as a guide? :rolleyes:

Thanks as always for the help! :D

It's more when they're ready...My New Year's Babies hatched over a period of a week, which means the first few are double the size of the last ones out, whilst the ten who were laid the day the last few hatched took just over two weeks and were all out in three days :)

Soon! Once they start bouncing around, they can hatch at almost any time. For your BBS, I recommend having at least two batches of them brewing at a time. A couple days apart. They can die quickly and without notice. I've also been told that they should really be hatched everyday; reason being that they lose the majority of their nutritional value within 24 hours. This is true, but I've spread my batches of BBS a couple days apart and always been fine. They are hatching at different times 24-36 hours out anyways. Emergency food can always be any of the frozen foods: BBS, Mini Bloodworm, Daphnia, and Cyclops. I've had luck with the majority of these foods even with the newest of newborns. But only as a last resort. BBS have been my primary staple food for the first week or two before moving to the next. Their tummys will swell up pink/orange as they are filled with BBS. I have some that were born a few days ago : )

I have one BBS hatchery, will have to set another one up so I can have 2 running at a time then. Time to do more research! LOL Thanks!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back