Danube crested newt feeding question

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
I have a trio of danube crested newts and they all usually eat like little piggies. The last time I fed them was two days ago and today when I put the frozen Blood worms one of the females seemed un interested and shes usually the one that eats the most....but when I offered her a little chopped up cricket..she ate it..she keeps staying in the same spot..like holding on to the side of a decoration I have...i moved her and she went back to the same spot..any ideas??

yeah the male has a little tiny crest...so maybe she will be laying eggs...the males crest was getting bigger but then i started messing with the tank and the temperature started to fluctuate in my room..but the temp is usually like 68-70...should they be colder to induce breeding..this female that wasnt interested in the bloodworms has laid eggs like a month ago...how can i induce breeding?

Mine just breed on their own according to the natural temperature changes of my basement.

is there ever a time when a newt will refuse to eat? because she doesnt seem interested in the blood worms...im a bit worried..

so i tried offering her a cricket chopped up and she accepted it...she keeps going back to the same place where she normally is...doesnt seem interested in blood worms but eats a chopped up cricket...WHAT IS GOING ON? lol i was a bit worried because I saw like her mouth and it seemed like she had something stuck but i think she just puffs up the skin on her mouth..makes it seem likes theres something there but she ate the cricket so she couldnt have ate it if there was something stuck....ANy ideas???

this is the pic but i think i might be over thinking it...

Attachments

• newt lip.jpg
    newt lip.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 651
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back