Suitable sand?

steve611

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Steve
I'm thinking of changing the gravel in my tank to sand substrate. A few people have referred me to bunnings (a hardware based business) in my area for cheap but good quality sand.

I was looking at these two links but not sure if it is toxic, suitable or harmful for my Axolotl in any way. Hence, why I'm here asking for opinions lol. Can this sand be used?

Our Range - Bunnings Warehouse

Our Range - Bunnings Warehouse

http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/S...white/Richgro-20kg-Play-Sand-PMR0080/3022506#

This is the Playsand that is usually recommended - it requires a LOT of thorough rinsing & then rinse some more - very gritty!

I've also looked at the river sand - but it looks a little gravelly & quite muddy.
http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/S...dscape-Sand-Greenlife-20kg-River-Sand/3014490

I've just looked at all the different sands available & am leaning heavily (just bought 25kg bag $27.50) of pool filter sand - [not glass sand], it comes very well rinsed & should only require a good rinse to be suitable.

I'm just about to rinse it so I'll let you know ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

I highly suggest pool filter sand. You can get it at a pool/hot tub store.

Pros:
- $10/50lb bag
- little to no rinsing
- lovely light color
- smooth sand
- heavy enough you can clean your tank without having to unplug your filters, and very little will get sucked up the hose if you hover just over the sand

Cons:
- if algae grows on it, it's quite noticable. But if you grow plants, they should out-compete for nutrients :)

I highly suggest pool filter sand. You can get it at a pool/hot tub store.

Pros:
- $10/50lb bag
- little to no rinsing
- lovely light color
- smooth sand
- heavy enough you can clean your tank without having to unplug your filters, and very little will get sucked up the hose if you hover just over the sand

Cons:
- if algae grows on it, it's quite noticable. But if you grow plants, they should out-compete for nutrients :)

I've just started rinsing the pool filter sand I bought yesterday & I'm wondering if it is ok to use...

Here's some pics & comparative items to gauge size...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359787542.921532.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359787562.599634.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359787576.182369.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359787592.000785.jpg

It's borderline fine gravel so I'm a little concerned about its use :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Hmm yeah the gravel I currently have with my Axolotl is just a little bigger than the sand in that pic you posted. If an Axolotl swallows a grain of sand, does it have the same sort of effect as a piece of gravel? (Putting aside the obvious differences in size). I'm thinking i might go for the play sand you showed me Nicki, that look's pretty decent and safe enough. Thanks a bunch!

Hmm yeah the gravel I currently have with my Axolotl is just a little bigger than the sand in that pic you posted. If an Axolotl swallows a grain of sand, does it have the same sort of effect as a piece of gravel? (Putting aside the obvious differences in size). I'm thinking i might go for the play sand you showed me Nicki, that look's pretty decent and safe enough. Thanks a bunch!

Just remember to rinse it really really really well - then just as you think you're done, rinse it a whole lot more! Spend the time on it at first before it goes into the tank then you'll spend less time cursing in the future :eek: lol (like me! Grr)

<3 >o_o< <3

This is the issue I have with Playsand in my AquaOne 620 tank - drives me nuts!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359795533.623130.jpg
The sand looks great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359795557.958295.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359795570.931856.jpg
It always looks like it's snowing!

I've given up & think it's the style of filter they use - but it drives me crazy! :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Hmm.. I *think* it should be alright with your bigger axies... I wouldn't risk it with smaller ones though. Your pfs looks different than mine - yours has varying sized particles and colored rocks o_O!

Here's mine:

Attachments

• pf sand 1.jpg
    pf sand 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 166
  • pf sand 2.jpg
    pf sand 2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 192
Hmm.. I *think* it should be alright with your bigger axies... I wouldn't risk it with smaller ones though. Your pfs looks different than mine - yours has varying sized particles and colored rocks o_O!

Here's mine:

Ahhhhh I heard there was a silica quartz sand but the shop I went to didn't have it - they had crushed glass & also glass beads that were tiny balls but too big :eek:
It looks like mine isn't the right thing!

I'll go hunting for the silica & see if it's much different :) thanks for the pics!

<3 >o_o< <3

Anytime!! I get confused but I guess PFS can be silica ^_^;; the grain size I have is heavy enough that it's perfect for cleaning :) plus the grains are smooth, uniform, and bright! I didn't even rinse it last time I used it.... It was that clean! You should check yours in case it's not though ;) I think you made a good choice by deciding on looking for the silica stuff!

The pics below is what it looks like in my feeder fish/shrimp+Cory tank :) (NO axies in there!!! ;) )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 158
iPhone can only post 1 photo at a time because of same picture name.. Lol. Here's the full tank :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 231
Chillijim, I would NOT use that in an axie tank because if you look at the grain size, it is 1-3mm. If you're using sand, keep it under 1mm :) Also, axies prefer hard water, as that soil not only softens water but also decreases pH. I highly suggest not going with a soil that will alter your water chemistry, as that's just leaving more opportunities for a spike of something which could be toxic to your axie(s).

Ok so I changed the gravel over to sand. Spent about half an hour rinsing and washing the sand. Kept washing and rinsing even though the water in it was really clear. I put the sand in my tank and now its really foggy. its been about an hour and its cleared up a tiny bit not much though. I did a water change just before putting the sand in so I will do another tomorrow to see if that helps. While moving my axolotl from the tank to a container, I left him in the container possibly for 30mins. When I went to put him back in his tank, I noticed some white markings on the top of his head. Should I be worried?

Ok so I changed the gravel over to sand. Spent about half an hour rinsing and washing the sand. Kept washing and rinsing even though the water in it was really clear. I put the sand in my tank and now its really foggy. its been about an hour and its cleared up a tiny bit not much though. I did a water change just before putting the sand in so I will do another tomorrow to see if that helps. While moving my axolotl from the tank to a container, I left him in the container possibly for 30mins. When I went to put him back in his tank, I noticed some white markings on the top of his head. Should I be worried?

Keep a close eye on him - if you're really worried about the white spots post a pic.

The cloudiness should be gone by morning - mine was but it's just a bit 'snowy' in the tank still because I'm an impatient rinser lol :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Here Are some images. Excuse the poor quality, bad camera and foggy tank didn't allow me to snap a clear shot.

Attachments

• CUAU.jpg
    CUAU.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 165
  • CUAU2.jpg
    CUAU2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 148
Chillijim, I would NOT use that in an axie tank because if you look at the grain size, it is 1-3mm. If you're using sand, keep it under 1mm :) Also, axies prefer hard water, as that soil not only softens water but also decreases pH. I highly suggest not going with a soil that will alter your water chemistry, as that's just leaving more opportunities for a spike of something which could be toxic to your axie(s).

Excellent thanks very much!! we have a ph out of the tap of about 7.8 so were in quite a hard water area, does anyone know where black aquarium sand can be attained from? Think it would look nice but proving slightly hard to find?!

Woke up this morning to a much clearer tank. You were right! Thanks for the info.

Excellent thanks very much!! we have a ph out of the tap of about 7.8 so were in quite a hard water area, does anyone know where black aquarium sand can be attained from? Think it would look nice but proving slightly hard to find?!

I've looked at "Crazy Sand" but for some reason I can't find it. Maybe you'll have better luck? If you can't find and you really want a black bottom, you can spray paint the OUTSIDE of the tank on the bottom, or tape pictures to the outside on the bottom. Take a look at the posters taped to tanks in this thread! http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-have-different-way-keep-axolotls-chinaa.html

Make sure you do NOT get black tahitan moon sand. There should be a post talking about it somewhere in the tank set-ups,filters, and substrate discussion area. :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back