Injured leg help :(

jacksonuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Just got home to notice one of our Axolotls has damage to his front right forelimb. He is full size and we've had him with his tankmate for 4 years or so without incident. They are in a 4' x 2' x 2' tank, lots of hides, wood and shelter and an external filter. Ammonia and Nitrite are nil, Nitrate <5ppm. The tank is in a quiet unheated hallway so temperature hovers around 17-18oC.

I'll post some pictures. He is not putting any weight on it and his limb is pointing backwards. It looks slimy but I suspect this is just mucus as opposed to fungal/bacterial infection.

My questions are...what do we do now? Fridge? Salt bath? etc.

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Attachments

• P1020579.jpg
    P1020579.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 420
  • P1020580.jpg
    P1020580.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 399
  • P1020581.jpg
    P1020581.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 310
I'll tell you what do.... NOTHING! Axolotls are amazing healers. I'll attach before and after pictures to show you my two year old axolotl's injury. The pictures are about 4 months apart. As long as you keep the water cold and clean they will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,085
Maintain as you are. Keeping him cool and well-fed and he should heal up fine.

If you notice any signs of infection or fungus, then you may need to start salt baths or fridging.

Edit: Didn't see the previous post. Great pics!

Cheers guys, really appreciate you're answers.

Is his leg likely to drop off or just heal? Also any idea roughly on time-scale?

Thanks again.

It's likely to just heal up, probably in a couple weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back