Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 5 gallon options

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I just ordered a 5 gallon aquarium though its not the standard dimensions its 14x10 floor space instead of 16x8 its only 12 additional inches of floor space but still

are there any small amphibians I could keep in this? Someone on here told me a blue-tailed firebelly should be able to live in here happily but Maybe there are other options or options?

I usually go with bigger tanks but I am just short on space ( I am not even sure I can set up this one)

Please no rude comments its a harmless question ... I only want the best for my pets :)

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
lol thats actually what i bought the tank for was a pair

i just figured it cant hurt to look at my other options :)

ps ... i should be able to upgrade this summer ( i have two old man hamsters :( ) but that should open room for a 10 gallon

preferences :

* fun to watch
* no heater needed ( or a max temp need of 75 because thats as high as my spare heater goes)
* fully aquatic or needing only a small bit of land
* will eat mostly frozen ( its available year round ... here live earth worms arent)

maisy

Reaction score
You can get a juvenile cynops cyanurus or cynops ensicauda popei and upgrade to the 10 gallon later on. They are fun to watch and they are more heat tolerant (up to 77 degrees F. in the summer).

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
thats the species i was looking at :) i will only get one though just in case i can't upgrade

my boyfriend said i can get a salamander if he can name it ... good news is he doesnt know a frog from a newt lol

maisy

Reaction score
Well, that's a great choice..very easy to care for. I'm sure your boyfriend will think of a fun name for it too!

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Yay :D I can't wait until we are moved and I can see if we have room

Of course if I.can upgrade later the 5 gallon will go to an ADF pair ... hello tank madness lol ... the only part I hate is cycling :(

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anywhere if Cyanurus prefer to live alone or have company

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No newts 'need' company. In general, all caudates are solitary animals. This species is fairly peaceful, and you can keep multiples in an appropriate size tank, but they don't need to be kept together.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Thats what i thought but I did not want to deprive them by only getting one

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!