Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible chimera egg? need advice/opinions

shannamarie

Reaction score
Hello all! We woke up thismorning to another surprise batch of eggs from nibbler and possibly our golden albino c3p0..all of them looked the same as her last batches except this one. I've never seen one like it before but I've heard of chimera eggs and I'm wondering if this might be one. opinons or advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20130201_201305.jpg
    20130201_201305.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 620
  • 20130201_201258.jpg
    20130201_201258.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 808

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think that's anything to do with chimaerism, as that's usually only noticable after they hatch. It looks like some sort of tumor or eversion of the yolk sac.

shannamarie

Reaction score
Oh I had just heard that chimaerism was caused by two eggs I'm one sack becoming one..the one egg has now absorbed the other two so it looks like there's only one egg In the sac now...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chimeras are two embryos fused. It happens in-utero (so to speak), not after the egg has already been laid.

The grey is definitely not a fertile egg. Eggs are either white or brown, not transparent grey.

shannamarie

Reaction score
Alright...although the "grey" part actually is white it just looks grey in the photo due to poor lighting ..and the darker egg has completely fused with it...maybe it just absorbed the infertile egg?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1