Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tiger Salamander / African Train?

SirDumpling

Reaction score
Hello,
I was planning on creating an A. tigrinum vivarium, but the enclosure we are building will be very very large and as they are relatively solitary animals, I don't want to overpopulate it. My partner has been wanting to have an Archispirostreptus gigas (African giant train millipede). From the literature we have consulted, the african train can easily be put into a terrarium with other species, as it has a very docile character and feeds off of carrion and plants and basically keeps terrariums clean.
My question now is if the tigers are compatible with the millipede? Has anyone ever had a mixed species vivarium like that?
Thank you!
SD

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A tiger will try to eat anything smaller than it. I wouldn't recommend this mix.

AngieD

Reaction score
I have an A. gigas myself, and have noticed it has very prickly legs and is prone to nibbling anything that it is curious about - it would make a nasty mess of any amphibian sharing an enclosure with it, to put it bluntly

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
On the other hand, millipedes have a defensive secretion that is toxic for an amphibian.

Which is why I wouldn't keep them together. The tiger would almost certainly try to eat it, only to potentially be poisoned with cyanide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1