Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When will my juvi be able to eat food on his own?

omgitsmogo

Reaction score
I have about a 2"+ juvi axi who was very finnicky with eating when I got him 2 weeks ago. He is not situated in his new 10g tank and is doing a much better job of eating (he's quite the fatty now). BUT he will only eat if I dangle the bloodworms right in front of his face... leaving me with a soaked arm.

How can I get him to find the food on his own/get interested? I've tried a small "feeding jar" like I have seen on here but he didn't seem to touch it overnight. Any tips?

gfsward

Reaction score
Your juvie should be able to smell the food plus they have very poor eyesight. Whenever I throw in worms my axies will hunt them based on smell. It isn't just instant feeding like when the food is right in front of their face. If you really want your axie to notice I would recomend dropping small earthworms in there. He'll recognize the movement and earthworms have the best nutrition for axies than anything else.
Good luck!

Axolotl4life

Reaction score
I've had the most success with black worms. At 2" they should be able to eat them whole. When I leave ten worms or so in over night they're usually gone by the morning. However, I still dangle the black worms in front of their faces twice a day with tweezers to make sure they're eating enough. Its also pretty fun to play a bit of tug-o-war while they violently thrash back and forth : ) I also use small betta pellets on occasion. You can't beat live food but I like the idea of giving my axies variety their in diet.

For such a small axolotl I'd use a smaller tank for the time being. Its easier to get them food and much easier to clean daily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1