Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to add more substrate to an established tank

MearWolf

Reaction score
Hi. My 2ft tank has quite fine black sand substrate.
I'd like it to be a bit deeper for my plants to root better so I was thinking about adding some more.

I'm wondering if and how to add more substrate to an active, established tank?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

tigmades

Reaction score
I recently added pool filter sand to a bare bottom tank by unplugging the filter and just pouring it in. However, you said your black sand is fine, so instead I would suggest the following:

Take a container full, lower it slowly to the bottom and then "pour" it out. I would slowly mix the sand afterwards seeing as you'll be burying the beneficial bacteria that grew on the top of you sand... that way hopefully at least some of the beneficial bacteria will still stay on the surface :)

tigmades

Reaction score
Ahh so what do you reckon if I fill a container with water. Hydrate the substrate in that. Then I can lower it in?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You don't need to pour water into the container first, just put your substrate in a container and slowly lower the container upright into the tank, and it'll fill up on it's own. Continue lowering going slowly and still upright until you're near the bottom, and then gently turn on side and "pour"! :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The bowl full of substrate method is fine as long as you're using pre-rinsed substrate. Rinse rinse rinse, then put it in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1