Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm an idiot.

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
I just got my lovely axies yesterday and with them, I bought a pack of bloodworms. I was so happy to feed them last night that I forgot to put the pack of bloodworms back in the freezer :eek: . Not just that but I also put a bag of my ropefish's mysis in with the grocery bag I was keeping both packs in and now both are completely thawed. I don't mind with the mysis so much since I just had half a bag left but the blood worms were brand new. There aren't enough walls in the world for me to bang my head against.:violent::cry: I guess my axies will have to try some mysis tonight.

mikeg

Reaction score
how big is the axolotl? is he big enough to take in small pellets? i must say iv done the same thing twice with a 70 pack of blood worm ( two trays 35 cubes each ) before i went with pellets. they last longer and cost about the same at big als bought hikari pellets lasted me 4 months

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
how big is the axolotl? is he big enough to take in small pellets? i must say iv done the same thing twice with a 70 pack of blood worm ( two trays 35 cubes each ) before i went with pellets. they last longer and cost about the same at big als bought hikari pellets lasted me 4 months

About a cm and a half so about a inch. 70 pack?! That must have been heart breaking. I plan to get them on different sort of pellet foods ( Not hikari but it's for newts and salamnders and very small) and supplement with blood worms so they don't have to eat me out of house and home. Axolotls eat alot! Where do they store it all?:eek:

Minniechild

Reaction score
No clue where they store it, but variety is the spice of life! As another food suggestion, if you can get some earthworms occasionally (I have real trouble finding them in our compost heap, so it tends to be a "sometimes" treat), they would definitely appreciate it- not to mention if you set up an earthworm farm, after initial layout it becomes free food!

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
No clue where they store it, but variety is the spice of life! As another food suggestion, if you can get some earthworms occasionally (I have real trouble finding them in our compost heap, so it tends to be a "sometimes" treat), they would definitely appreciate it- not to mention if you set up an earthworm farm, after initial layout it becomes free food!

It's incredible to see them horking down food like that. I don't think I could get earthworms until it's summer and it rains. They're pretty hard to find otherwise. Earthworms wouldn't even fit in their little mouth right now though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1