Red Spot in head area

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 12 axie babies that hatched a couple weeks ago. All are doing great as far as I can tell but is showing a bit of red in its head area...kinda looks like bleeding? They have all been separated in their own containers for about a week and then this red showed up on the one. It hasn't endured any trauma I'm aware of. Wondering if this is normal or if there's anything I might do for the little guy. Please check the photo. Thanks.

Attachments

• Axie1.jpg
    Axie1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 438
Normally you can see the brain case pretty easily as a reddish spot, but that does look a little redder than normal.

There probably isn't much you can do if it's an internal bleed. Just keep feeding as normal and see if it makes it.

How long has it been there? I feed mine which are similar size to yours live daphnia and they seem to store the food in their mouths for a while before swallowing if it's quite big.

How long has it been there? I feed mine which are similar size to yours live daphnia and they seem to store the food in their mouths for a while before swallowing if it's quite big.

:confused: I noticed it on Saturday, Feb 2, while feeding. Hadn't seen it before, or at least it didn't catch my attention. Maybe it was the lighting this time but now I can't look at the little guy without seeing it. Hopefully it's nothing serious. He seems to be doing just fine and is progressing the same as the others (I have 12 in total).

I reckon if it was anything life threatening he'd probably not still be alive. Don't worry about it and see what happens. You never know it could be some kind of cool colour mutation :happy:
The 'Japanese flag axolotl' :lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back