Video of a few axolotls

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Here is a short (very low quality) video of a few of my axolotls. This is the living room, the rest are in the garage and basement.

[youtube]11gJOdPSwr8[/youtube]

Might I recommend chrome shelving? Haha, seems like there is a space issue.

Holy Moly 0.0

Just a few!!!! Oh my o_O

If thought about raising a litter of lotls lol
But seeing that has just seriously made me rethink that concept >_< that's a lot of babies! How many (roughly) have you got in that batch in the video?

<3 >o_o< <3

I'm sure I can still see a little bit of floor space left to fill! Must be a full time job cleaning and feeding that lot but hey hat's off to you.

Regards Neil

How many (roughly) have you got in that batch in the video?

The two tubs with plants have about 600 hatchlings, there are about 600-800 more that are still on brineshrimp (they're the tiny larvae) and there are hundreds of juveniles around 1.5-2 inches long. I can never get an exact count. There are also a couple hundred more larvae through large juveniles in the basement and garage.

I'm sure I can still see a little bit of floor space left to fill! Must be a full time job cleaning and feeding that lot but hey hat's off to you.

Regards Neil

Oh there is still plenty of floor space to fill! This is only half the living room, there was no point in getting a shot of the empty half in there. I keep some of them on shelves (so visitors don't fall into my nursery) but for the sake of the video I spread them on the floor.

What are you going to do with all of them? And just out of curiosity, how do you feed all of them? Haha. That is a lot of babies and amazing. :)

What are you going to do with all of them? And just out of curiosity, how do you feed all of them? Haha. That is a lot of babies and amazing. :)

I share them with the masses.

To feed them all I thaw out a quarter pound of frozen blood worms and distribute them with a turkey baster. After they've snacked on the blood worms for about an hour I pull a quarter pound of live California black worms out of the fridge and distribute them by hand to all of the tubs. I do that every night. With the small larvae I feed a mix of live, freshly hatched brine shrimp and finely chopped live black worms.

holyyy ...lol you have ALOT of them...didnt think it was possible to have that many...so the two that I got from you is just like .0000000001% of your total population lol...must be a lot of food but i bet its worth it...you should breed more different newts like alpines..and marbled newts for me :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back