Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kinked Axolotl larva

tigmades

Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my 6-day old newborns developed 2 kinks in his body - 1 near his neck, the other partway thru his tail. Anyone have one that had this before? What are Crowbar's chances of survival?

Attachments

• crowbar.jpg
    crowbar.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 3,450

twistedfisher

Reaction score
i did my first cull last night of the larva i have here and had a few like this.

can they survive? Maybe

should they? Not in my personal opinion

tigmades

Reaction score
S/he's eating and moving fine so he's not suffering from what I can tell... I want to give him a chance seeing as it doesn't seem to be in pain and I don't mind keeping the little guy... I'm rather fond of it... I definitely would want to prevent any genes carrying on though.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Nice to hear you want to let it live AND keep it from breeding. C-bar's name gave me the giggles too. Nice one!:grin:

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
Love the name, and that you are keeping it out of the gene pool.Thank you for looking out for everyone.

tigmades

Reaction score
Nice to hear you want to let it live AND keep it from breeding. C-bar's name gave me the giggles too. Nice one!:grin:
It popped into my head out of no where and I couldn't get it to leave, haha! Glad you like it!

Love the name, and that you are keeping it out of the gene pool.Thank you for looking out for everyone.
As big mama, it's my job ;) Plus look at him/her... they're so friggin' cute!!!! AHHHH!! Lol! If I'm correct, he's also a melanoid... and since Toothless (my melly juvie) stole my heart with all his shameless begging, bloodworm hats, and general curiosity, melanoid youngsters are my favorite at them moment ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1