Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding hatchlings

froggybabe04

Reaction score
I have 9 hatchlings...they are about two weeks old now, I was wondering if it was possible for them to over eat? Lol, I ask because they REALLY like to eat, a lot. We had one last night who looked just looked plump full stuffed. I am now wondering if it is possible for them to over eat? Any comments would be great! :)

nicolelawton

Reaction score
not too sure about hatchlings...i feed mine whatever they will eat. my adults are another story, they will regurge if they eat too much

froggybabe04

Reaction score
I have read about the adults not being fed to much, but I can't find anything about the hatchlings. Thank you! :)

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Apparently it's best that they're practically swimming in food to start with. It seems logical as they're very fragile to start with and a lot of food will make them stronger faster. If they're not hungry they won't eat.

ArdyBay

Reaction score
Mine are proper little fatties (when they finally started eating. Took long enough, lol).

froggybabe04

Reaction score
That is almost the exact words I wanted to hear/see! :) Ok swimming in food they shall! they seem to be growing really well right now which is awesome and exciting! Thank you.

tigmades

Reaction score
How big are yours now? My newborns(8 days old today) are ~ 1.5cm, and my juveniles ~6 weeks are 2" ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1