Question: Fridging axie

Kodie

Reaction score
Country
Australia-Aboriginal
hi all, i currenty have an injured axolotl in the fridge that was also floating at the time. Im new to the fridging thing as i have never had to do it with any of my other axies, he has been in the fridge for 3 days and seems to be doing ok with a temp of 8 degrees and 100% water changes daily with water of the same temperature stored in the fridge. he wasnt eating for 3 days before i decided to put him in the fridge and so this is the 6th day he hasnt eaten, i normally wouldnt be that worried if it was a healthy axolotl but he is a rescue and is quite skinny already.

I know that their matabolism is slowed down and he wont eat in the fridge obviously, but he most likely had an empty stomache when i put him in. So my question is how long can they go without eating in the fridge and whether or not i should keep him in their for much longer. :eek: p.s i have a post in the sick axolotl forum if you wanted to see a picture of the extent of his injury. thanks guys.

I would try to feed him in the fridge, I dont know how long they can go without eating. But I would offer him food.

I agree. Offer food in the fridge. 8C isn't all that cold. What kind of food are you offering?

i feed my axolotls earthworms out of my worm farm and occasionally axolotl pellets. i will give it a go. thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back