Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

BO smell, green ornamemts.

steve611

Reaction score
My Tank has been smelling like BO or sweat for a few days now, each day it gets stronger. Regardless of whether I do water changes. I've been doing water changes every other day but I now do them every day so the smell isn't too strong. Today however, while doing a water change. I noticed that one of the ornaments I had in the tank had green stains on it. I took it out of the tank and it absolutely wreaked. My tank vaguely stinks now and I'm pretty sure the ornament was the source of the smell. It's out of the tank sitting in hot water now. Should I put it back in after I wash it off? I was thinking of buying a new one all together just to he safe. Probably would be mention worthy to note that I'm three weeks in my tanks cycle process.

FX1C

Reaction score
What sort of ornament was it?
Can you post of pic of this ornament? Was it something sold for aquariums or something else you put into tank like a garden ornament or something made of non aquarium safe plastic / clay...
It's lucky you picked it up early on so it doesn't mess with the tank too much.

Are you testing your tank regularly so you know where it is in the cycle? Can't be too far off being done :D

<3 >o_o< <3

steve611

Reaction score
It's an ornament handed down to me from a friend. It's not a natural log it's man made. He no longer wanted it because he got a smaller tank and had no room for that ornament. I spent a good half an hour just washing and rinsing it and surprisingly, the smell was still very strong on the ornament even after I washed it off. The green was gone but not the smell. I went to the pet store today and they seemed to think it was algae. I bought my own ornament and I'm just gonna replace the old one with the new one considering I couldn't get rid of the smell. I haven't been able to acquire a test kit yet as I'm on a real tight student budget haha but I will get around to getting one very soon.

Attachments

• IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 178

FX1C

Reaction score
What a shame it's a cool hide!

Ask if your local fish shop does testing - some offer this service free & some ask a small charge.

I understand about the student budget ;) but just remember we can choose to eat 2min noodles, but providing for our animals should always come first :)

If you're ever stuck - don't forget there's a few of us in sydney & I'm always willing to help out :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
That's the ideal kit & a good price too :)

If possible ask them what the 'use by' date is in the kit before purchasing - you don't want to end up with old stock >_<

<3 >o_o< <3

UKMarch

Reaction score
I also had a resin hide like a cave which was for aquatic use and to me that smells also and I have taken it out. My OH says its a resin smell but I have a good sense of smell and if I can smell it feel it must be wrong now I have replaced it with several hides made from terracotta pots which are cheap and easy to find.

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Do you use live plants?
I only get green algae in my goldfish tank, which has live plants. And it certainly carries a smell. So maybe it's that. I heard once there's some chemical you could put in the water that doesn't hurt the plants but rids the tank of algae. I'm not sure what it's called, nor am I sure whether or not it's safe for axolotls.

steve611

Reaction score
I'll look into it, thanks for the advice. :)

I think my hideout was for aquatic use too. Not sure. But my friend used to have it in a saltwater tank.

There aren't any plants in my tank yet, but I was thinking of introducing some java fern and ghost shrimp. Will that combination balance out the algae Levels?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1