Illness/Sickness: Houdini: Fungal Infection

OAkritas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All!

Thank you so much for being here! My Paddle Tail Newt, Houdini, escaped from his aquarium last Sunday and nearly died. He has recovered, and appears to be getting better every day, save for A GROWING (FUNGAL?) INFECTION ON THE BOTTOM OF HIS TAIL. It is a white, pouffy mass that has occupied about an inch of the bottom of his tail, and is growing rapidly.

HOW DO I KILL IT.

I have read the care sheet page over and over, along with the disease care sheets on CC, where it mentioned refrigeration and saline baths, but I would like more specific information, wisdom, and experience.

PLEASE HELP!

Unfortunately, this was pretty much bound to happen. You need to provide an environment as optimal as possible so that the inmune system has a chance. The treatment will only serve to control the infection so that the inmune system can kick in. If the inmune system is inhibited, the infection won´t go away.
I personally wouldn´t fridge the newt, simply because it has already gone through too many changes and it could cause further stress, which would continue to depress the inmune system. Also, it sounds like a Saprolegnia infection and if i remember correctly, Saprolegnia is more infective in cold temps. A relatively low temp of about 15ºC is probably best. Make sure water conditions are optimal and make small water changes with aged water if they are not. I would strongly recommend adding huge amounts of plants. They will contribute very substantially to maintaining optimal and constant conditions. Avoid any stress sources like people walking up and down in front of the tank, vibrations, etc.
Salt baths are the typical treatment for this kind of infection, but you could try Neosporin (WITHOUT painkillers).

Make sure to feed the animal well too. Quality foods like earthworms and fresh-water crustaceans would be best.

I can not thank you enough, I owe you for so much advice and probably Housini's life. Im afraid its just one thing after another. I didnt mess with the infection because it gradually died off, now its nothing more than a scar/mark, but suddenly his tail is awefully discoulered, and he's not eating!!! He appears so thin its breaking me.

Discoloration

Hello

My paddletail newt had a fungal infection on his tail which seems to have disappeared now,
But his tail is dicolored, and he hasnt eaten for a while, and is starting to look mince. I dont know whats.going on please help

Hi :D

I have joined your last post to one of your previous posts, that way we may resist asking all the same questions again.

Could you add a picture of your newt and the problem area to this thread so we can see please. What did you use to treat the fungal infection?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back